Making a chick nipple waterer

What virtical nipples should I buy?

These are what I use. Work as they should.

D7A3CB6F-D8D6-4695-BBCB-821BEC8A8707.jpeg

I prefer the horizontal ones - mainly because I am not comfortable with hanging an 8 lb weight over my chicks! And that's if it's a small 1 gallon container, the big hens have 5 gallon buckets = 40 lb! Just me being weird, I suppose...whatever works for you is what you use!

Horizontal nipples can be a bit difficult for new chicks. Purchased the chick nipple water freon Premier 1 this year, and they've done great with them. They don't leak per se, but the chicks aren't great at catching every drop, so I put a plastic lid underneath to catch the drops they miss. They love to peck the drops off the plastic lid too, so win-win. And, it is less than $6.
Screenshot_20190424-081258_Chrome.jpg

I prefer the horizontal ones - mainly because I am not comfortable with hanging an 8 lb weight over my chicks! And that's if it's a small 1 gallon container, the big hens have 5 gallon buckets = 40 lb! Just me being weird, I suppose...whatever works for you is what you use!
It's just like anything else. If you build it flimsy, it will be flimsy. If you build it so an adult could do gymnastics on your hangers, a water bucket is nothing to support. I can take pictures of the chain and hooks I used if anyone is needing to hang their big bucket and isn't sure how to do so safely.

The way I see it, I feel better with a container hanging than sitting up on a brick where it could be tipped over by the force of a flying chicken landing on top.

I think I'm going to build a a small one out of a glad twist lid container using one nipple for them to get the idea. Then a larger one out of a half gallon bucket with 2.

Back
Top Bottom