Making a "double" silver laced from a single laced

EggGrl

Chirping
12 Years
Jan 3, 2008
Newport, VA
I have silver laced orpingtons and was wondering how to breed them to get double silver laced orps? I understand they need to lose the Columbian gene hiding in there. Would breeding a SLO hen to a pure black orp rooster create this other pattern?

I have silver laced orpingtons and was wondering how to breed them to get double silver laced orps? I understand they need to lose the Columbian gene hiding in there. Would breeding a SLO hen to a pure black orp rooster create this other pattern?

The Columbian gene is present in the Silver Laced Orpingtons, it is not hiding. Yes, you would have to breed to a bird that was homozygous recessive at the Columbian locus. A Black Orpington shoukd accomplish that, but you might lose the pattern gene you would need. You might also bring in gold, and other red modifiers. Black Orpingtons might not be your best choice.

Is there a better choice such as a pure white orp? Not sure if the double laced are a solid black bird with genes for lacing, so I'm not sure how to get from single laced to double.

I had forgotten to mention Black Orpingtons and Silver Laced Orpintond are based an different alleles at the E locus also. Double Laced would need to be based on the same alleles as the Silver Laced, not the black.

Back
Top Bottom