Making a Dresser into a Brooder

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by SierraView, Mar 18, 2012.

1. SierraView

SierraView Chillin' With My Peeps

I don't count my chick before they hatch but at the rate I'm going I will hatch 100s [​IMG] Soo I have this dresser and since I think about chicks a lot, first thing I seen was a brooder. The more I look at it the bigger my ideas for a brooder get. I'm going to try and heat it like the DIY incubators maybe. I want to try and find a way to heat it that doesn't take a 250 watt heat lamp. So here's some pics of what I've done so far.

[​IMG]

Took out the drawer rails and took off the back so I can put a plywood floor in. Sanded the top because the old finish was peeling.
    [​IMG]

I'm going to primer it tomorrow and paint it shabby chic. I got some miss tinted paint couple weeks ago for $3 its a teal color and then think I might do a white crackle paint finish over the teal. The opening I will use chicken wire because I found a huge roll in the barn. Chicken wire is shabby chic right? lol

I will add more pictures as I do this project.

2. LaynaDon95

LaynaDon95 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2012
    Texas
    That's a really cute idea!
    I can't wait to see the finished product!

3. Fierlin1182

Fierlin1182 powered-flight

Aug 26, 2011
    Very creative! Should be interesting to see what it looks like when you're done. Awaiting more pictures. :pop

4. chestypuller

chestypuller Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2012
    Alaska
    im gonna halve to steal that idea. i thought about making a old karmen ghia car into a coop i got laying around.

heres a dumb ?

whats the difference between a coop and a brooder?

5. ButchGood

ButchGood Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2012
    Central Texas
    A coop is permanant residence for full grown chickens. A brooder is a heated temporary residents for baby chicks.

6. Apyl

Apyl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2012
    Necedah, Wi
    Very cool idea. I cant wait to see how it turns out.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by