making a dust bath

I like the idea of a covered kitty litter box idea. That would be a good pick since it wouldn't have to be placed in a specifically arranged spot so that no rain gets in there. I think I will try it. Thanks for all the suggestions. They all sound pretty good.

No problem here I live on a hill & I'm beginning to think at one time it was a sand dune. So water never puddles here. Plus, the fact that it never rains here.

Mine have created their own...it was at first tall with weeds, till they started free ranging, they are 14 weeks old...they have eaten all the weeds, now they have a nice 12' long dust bowl!!

I guess if it get's wet, they move into the barn and create a new one in the straw/shavings etc...they will find a new one, they did it in the coop in their shavings at first...
(it doesn't rain here very much also)

Mine will make their own but I had heard you could make your own and then add DE and such to it. When I tried a while back it didn't work. I got curious as to how everyone else was handling the issue. I really like the idea of having a cover attached to it because for me it seems when I placed it under and awning or a tarp the rain still would get in it.

I am new to chickens also and I also have a question about this....what is DE and why do the chickens need it and where do I get it?

Quote:
We need an English-to-chicken-talk dictionary! (there probably is a FAQ or list of terms here)

DE is for Diatomaceous Earth ( I always spell it wrong) In the UK they call it Diatom
Here's wikipedia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diatomaceous_earth

The sharp particles can cut into the insect and it will dehydrate and die....all insects from what I understand, mites, ticks, fleas, etc. etc. etc You can get it at garden supply and feed stores. You should look for food grade somewhere on the packaging.

Mine refuse to bathe in dirt and seem to prefer the cypress mulch of the flowerbeds
hu.gif

Go figure.

edit: they also refuse sand and DE.. even mixed together (soil/sand, soil/DE, sand/de, soil/sand/de)

Last edited:
i have an open litter box filled with sand... they seem to like eating the sand but I've yet to see them bath in it... but maybe they're too young? they're only 4 weeks. Anyways, most will dig holes but I put this one in the coop so that when they're locked in they have something to do.

I just sprinkle my Red Lake Earth diatomaceous earth on top of the dirt where my chickens naturally dust themselves. I got the idea from this youtube video
(skip to about 13:30 of the video)

Back
Top Bottom