Making a feather pillow

You must remember to only use the soft under down feathers for pillows and such, any other kind may be not what you call comfortable.

Goose down is the preferred down to use, you also have to clean it very well.

I'm collecting cast off feathers from my two boys. It might take forever but I am determined. I figure if you use a REALLY tight thread count fabric, feathers might make it crunchy but at least they wont stab ya.

Quote:
When I raise some rouens for my moms freazer, im gonna try and make her a pillow for her birthday.

i collected the feathers from all my ducks (70) and i want to make a blanket for my daughter. i saw one like that in hungary, at my cousin house. they are wonderful!!!!!

Alot of the old feather pillows had a 'core' of feathers surrounded by down/very fine feathers. A pure down pillow offers almost no head or neck support and you have to fluff the heck out them every morning to get them back to a pillow shape. Down blankets are a different story.~gd

So I am interested in how to prep and clean the feathers and anything else you might have to do, I think I heard from a older German woman that it does take allot of work to get the pillow just right............................ so how are you doing yours.

Back
Top Bottom