1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Making a feeder but need some advice on size

Discussion in 'DIY / Self Sufficiency' started by AshFR, Aug 1, 2015.

1. AshFR

AshFR New Egg

Aug 1, 2015
    Hi all. Im making a bucket feeder with pipes as below. I'm just wondering is 2.5" (68mm) pipe angles a ok size for the chicken to put its head in. I would use 3" but u can't seem to get them in the UK. I will be having medium/large chickens. [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 1, 2015
  2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    [​IMG]

You can kind of see how I did my feeder in this. Those holes are 2-1/2” in diameter. They can get their entire heads in there. You will be fine with 68 mm.

3. AshFR

AshFR New Egg

Aug 1, 2015
    Ahhhh thats brilliant thanks very much. Now to find a suitable Bucket :) trying to find stuff in the UK is a nightmare.

4. cluckcluckhens

cluckcluckhens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2015
    We've had a few chickens feeders for the past three years. Our latest one is working like it should. Hardly any feed is being thrown out by the chickens, we are not feeding the wild birds or squirrels anymore with this feeder. We were going through a bag of feed every week to 10 days, now our feed last about a month and feed is not being wasted.

You could build a chickens feeder out of wood. That is what we did. It's a lever feeder, it opens up only when the chickens step on the lever to open it to get feed.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. BBQJOE

BBQJOE Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2015
    Void where prohibited.
    Restaurants are your answer. They get pickles, and fillings and all sorts of stuff in those 5 gallon buckets.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by