Making a feeder..... How do they "grow with it"?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by juliaaa, Aug 19, 2011.

1. juliaaa

juliaaa Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2011
    Syracuse, New York
    I want to make a feeder for one of the coops that'll hold 50-100lbs of feed. My question is: If I plan on mounting it "in" the wall, what should I do as far as them growing? They are 8-10 weeks now but when they're full grown they'll need the feeder higher... Should I make it for a full grown chicken and just make a ledge for them to stand on? I don't want to make it and then have to cut another hole in the side of the coop.

I don't know if I asked this the right way, I'm hoping someone gets what I'm asking.

2. 10 point

10 point country boy

Feb 19, 2011
    LaFayette, NY
    If your going to mount it on the wall mount it for a full grown chicken and give them a step stool like you were saying

3. BellevueOmlet

BellevueOmlet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    I agree, make it the height for them when they are full grown and put a step, ledge or platform fo rthem to stand on until they are large enough. Seems alot easier than remounting in 8 weeks. I'm curious what it looks like, do you have pictures?

4. juliaaa

juliaaa Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2011
    Syracuse, New York
    I will post pictures in a few days. We got a nasty storm and no place to cut wood outside where we wouldn't get soaked [​IMG]

5. KDK1

KDK1 Chillin' With My Peeps

I mounted mine at 9" off the floor. I started out with a length of 4X4 for them to stand on then a 2X4 till they got big enough to reach it from the floor. Worked great...

Last edited: Aug 22, 2011
  6. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    I have a wall feeder that I placed too high I just put some 4x4's for them to stand on have not heard one comp[​IMG]laint yet. You can kinda see the boards in front of the feeder.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by