1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

making a hen broody !!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by carmen chicks, Apr 8, 2012.

1. carmen chicks

carmen chicks Out Of The Brooder

Sep 3, 2011
    i was considering buying hatching eggs but i dont have a broody hen so i was wondering can you make a hen broody.

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Very unlikely, but one of the Sussex should go broody in the next few months -- hopefully.

3. carmen chicks

carmen chicks Out Of The Brooder

Sep 3, 2011
    can anyone tell me how to make a hen broody ???

4. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

The hen has instincts and hormones that drive this behavior. "Making" an animal do something that only nature can do is quite difficult, if not impossible. Leaving a clutch of eggs, rather than collecting them, sometimes seems to assist in "triggering" the drive, but won't always work and most times simply doesn't.

5. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

What Fred said.

Most hens are production birds with the "broody" instincts bred out of them. They may never go broody, ever. Some breeds are more prone to going broody, but even some of them never do it. Even in the heritage (non-hatchery) breeds, it is totally instinctual and driven by hormones - people who say they "made" a hen broody are - in my not-so-humble opinion - just happening to hit the particular hen who has those instincts and went broody, coincidentally, when the owner "stimulated" the broodiness.

6. karlamaria

karlamaria Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2011
    Western montana
    I have buff orphingtons and there always going broody. In fact one is sitting on eggs right now. We have no rooster so we bought a dozen eggs ( put only 5 under her) she as broody so long I got worried so I broke down and got her eggs to hatch. Buffs are famous for going broody I hope she hatches these out, I will candle them in 10 days . I'm so excited! I say buy birds that are notorious for broodiness.

7. bj taylor

bj taylor Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2011
    North Central Texas
    i have a buff orp. i expect when she's old enough she will go broody. do i just let her do what she's inclined to do - do i just keep taking her eggs? not sure what's best for her & me. no rooster available @ this time.

8. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Take her eggs until she has been off the roost for two full nights and spending 99% of her time in the nest. That's my first test for a broody hen. Sometimes they "practice" as their hormones rise, but I don't consider a hen broody until she's spent two nights on the next, puffs up and growls at me when I gather her eggs, and otherwise spends her time flattened out like a pancake over her eggs.

I, however, have roosters, so I let mine satisfy their mommy instincts. If I didn't have roosters, I'd try to get a few fertile eggs for any hen that went broody, because I don't like the tactics used to "break broody hens."

NOT all the eggs may hatch, or she may leave the nest early. I've had that happen.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by