making a larger “free range” enclosure

i should be more clear…this extra space is for daytime roaming while we’re home. i plan to make a door to their secure coop/run that i’ll close up at night.
I had a fox take off with my favorite duck while I was in the front yard and they were out back free ranging just 100 feet away a few months ago. This was mid-morning. You can never watch them 100%. For me, I've decided that the only time my birds will be out is when I'm sitting there with them. If I go in the house, they get put back in their run.
Even then, there is a video that is on you tube and was shared by a byc member where he was cleaning out his coop while the birds were free ranging. A hawk came right by - the chickens ran and he batted at it to save a chicken.
Years ago in the middle of winter, I was cleaning out my coops and a hawk landed on the cement pad out in front of the building where the ducks were standing. I just happened to look over because I wasn't sure what I saw out of the corner of my eye that just "flew" in.
Predators are leery, but a chicken or duck dinner is more enticing to them than they are afraid of you.

Back
Top Bottom