! Making a maggot farm !

BellaShome

In the Brooder
Jun 7, 2021
Hello everyone! This is my first post on here. Where I live, chicken feed is expensive. So I'm thinking of making a maggot farm to give my chickens more protein and stop wasting so much money.
-
Chicken feed is expensive. For example, 15 dollars for a medium sized mixed bag of food. For me, that's too expensive. Before I start my maggot farm, I'd like to ask some questions.

! I READ EVERY COMMENT THAT I GET !

1. Will my chickens get sick if they eat maggots? I don't want my chickens being eaten inside out..

2. Do I NEED to use a specific type of fly or can I use any to get eatable maggots? I'm (probably) going to be using house flies for my project, this is my first time having a maggot farm so I just want to make sure.

3. What should I use to have a successful growing maggot farm? Feel free to say a suggestion if you have one!

-
Thank you!

I’ve never had a maggot farm, and don’t know much about it, but I’ll answer your first
questions.

1. Yes, chickens can eat maggots. I often feed my chickens the ones off the lid of the compost.

2. House fly’s are the ones growing in my compost, and are the ones I feed my chickens. I don’t think there are very many (if any) species of flys that could be deadly to chickens. Chickens also often eat the flys when they’re full grown.

Just making sure, you are going to feed your chickens other things than maggots? I’m assuming the maggots are a treat, but I just thought I’d check.

Also :welcome

I’ve never had a maggot farm, and don’t know much about it, but I’ll answer your first
questions.

1. Yes, chickens can eat maggots. I often feed my chickens the ones off the lid of the compost.

2. House fly’s are the ones growing in my compost, and are the ones I feed my chickens. I don’t think there are very many (if any) species of flys that could be deadly to chickens. Chickens also often eat the flys when they’re full grown.

Just making sure, you are going to feed your chickens other things than maggots? I’m assuming the maggots are a treat, but I just thought I’d check.

Also :welcome
Thank you! And yes, I just want to give them maggots as a treat. May I ask another question?

Of course, you can ask as many questions as you please. I just can’t guarantee I’ll be able to answer all of them
Alrighty! As I said in my post, chicken feed is expensive. Is there any way I can make my own or save up? I'm trying to save my money up to make them a larger coop where they can all live in. I have 5 chickens + 4 chicks :)

Back
Top Bottom