making a new breed of chicken. Any advice?

Farm boy 14

Songster
Oct 4, 2017
IMG_0793.JPG IMG_0808.JPG IMG_0811.JPG
I am making a new breed in the spring. these two are a silkie and black australorp mix. The cockrel is about 6lbs and the pullet is about 3 1/2lbs -4lbs. they are about 7 months old. the tempermant from 1-10 is a 4 on both of them. they have some feathers on their feet but not much. the pullet has five toes on both feet but the cockrel has 5 toes on one foot and 4 on the other. should I breed these two together or breed the silkie and australorp together. any advice is welcome.

What is your goal? IMHO you have lots of genetic variables that may take a very long time to arrive at something that is sustainable and repeatable. Especially starting with 3 birds. It takes lots of birds, lots of hatching, lots of culling over many years to achieve what one would call a 'new breed'.

My goal is to make a breed that lays a good amount of eggs but can go broody. What do you mean with IMHO?

Making a new breed in the spring? So we are to assume that you have already spent quite some time breeding generations of birds after the initial cross to fix traits? Otherwise what you are making would be considered mutts and not a breed.

Back
Top Bottom