Questions about crossbreedings from a new BYC crazy chicken lady

Mar 27, 2024
Im new here, if your wondering. Anyways, I have a french copper maran rooster, and A blue egg laying EE pullet. If i breed them together, will i get a bearded/and/or/feather footed olive egger? I have two of these blue eggs under my broody (black australorp white plymouth rock cross) hen, this is her first time being broody, she only started laying around 6-7 months ago! Anyeays, yesterday, one of the blue eggs cracked while candling. I melted some crayon wax and made sure to cover all of the extent of the crack. The egg is on about day 4-5, and yesterday after putting wax on it, I saw a heartbeat! This is only my third time with a broody hen, (the mother of my current broody hen had gone broody, and i have also had my india blue peahen go broody as well.) so excuse me for asking so many questions, lol. 🩷
IMG_9435.jpeg
my EE pullet
IMG_0689.jpeg
my French Black Copper Maran Roo

The chicks will most likely be bearded feather footed Olive Eggers. Of course, I don’t know if the EE is homozygous for the beard gene and the blue egg gene but that is a very thick beard and most EEs are homozygous for the blue egg gene.
I have hatched a cracked egg before.

have a french copper maran rooster, and A blue egg laying EE pullet. If i breed them together, will i get a bearded/and/or/feather footed olive egger?
Yes, you have a good chance of getting Olive Eggers with beards and a few feathers on their feet.

Other possibilities:
--the chicks might not have beards (depending on the hen's genes, either all of the chicks should have beards, or half should have beards with the other half having no beards.)
--the chicks might not have feathers on their feet (I don't know probabilities on this one, just the general observation that when one parent has clean legs and the other has a few leg feathers, the chicks might have feathered legs or might not.)
--you might get some brown eggs (depending on the hen's genes, either all chicks should lay olive eggs, or half will lay olive and the other half will lay brown.)
--Of course the chicks could be male, in which case they would not be laying any eggs, and you wouldn't know which egg-color genes they inherited.

The chicks will most likely be bearded feather footed Olive Eggers. Of course, I don’t know if the EE is homozygous for the beard gene and the blue egg gene but that is a very thick beard and most EEs are homozygous for the blue egg gene.
I have hatched a cracked egg before.
I love that thick beard. That’s why I chose her to be my chicky 💕🤣

Back
Top Bottom