Making an incubator trim this!!

Staciaw755

In the Brooder
6 Years
Oct 8, 2013
N. Idaho
i got a freezer just like this today for free, would love to make an incubator but haven't seen one made from a chest freezer yet. How hard would it be and would it be worth trying with this?

Personally I'd cut a hole in the front to make a door for better access as the proportions are opposite than say a fridge which they make many out of. If you get it figured out, will be great as it's self contained and insulated so well that it will hold temps better and humidity than alot of bought incubators. I made my own incubator out of a fridge/cooler from a popup this spring and it works wonderfully. I would look around at other home-made ones and get some ideas. Anything is possible, and if your handy with that sort of thing makes it even better. I love making my own things rather than buy, it so much fun. And if it works well such a great accomplishment.

I had make one, but although the temperature were evenly distrebuted their was still the problem with humedity and the turning of the eggs, Out of 40 eggs I got hatches of 4-6 chickens, I am planning to buy one this time,

I had make one, but although the temperature were evenly distrebuted their was still the problem with humedity and the turning of the eggs, Out of 40 eggs I got hatches of 4-6 chickens, I am planning to buy one this time,
Just to add, I did not make it standing like normal, as in it's chest way, I have put it on it's side, and the door opens then side ways

Seems like it would work great although you would still need to mist and turn the eggs yourself and put something along the top to prop it so there is air circulation.

This last spring we had an 'emergency' situation and had to hatch some eggs and used a simple ice chest with a heat lamp attached to a board that we propped across the top to keep the lid open. I'd turn the eggs a 1/4 turn every couple of hours and mist them with a spray bottle. We only got two out of ten eggs to hatch, but given the circumstances of not knowing what we were doing, we considered it success. It was also a learning curve for future use

Back
Top Bottom