Making Blue Mottled Cochins

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by poultrycrazy, Nov 28, 2011.

1. poultrycrazy

poultrycrazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2010
    :)
    How do you make blue mottled cochins? I have a pair of mottled and 2 splash hens, can i use them?

Thanks

2. sjarvis00

sjarvis00 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Shawnee, OKlahoma
    Quote:take your mottled rooster over the splash hens, you will get some blue offspring, place them back under your mottled rooster, you will get Black, Blue, Mottled, and Blue Mottled.

3. poultrycrazy

poultrycrazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2010
    :)
    Thank you! and when i breed the mottled rooster to the splash hens i will only get blue and no other color? Will they carry the mottled gene?

4. sjcshawna

sjcshawna Out Of The Brooder

Jan 22, 2012
    Fordsville, KY
    I have a blue rooster if i put him on my mottled hens will i get blue mottled?

5. draye

draye Overrun With Chickens

Nov 30, 2010
    Arkansas
    1st generation usually turn out blue.
    Take the offspring from 1st generation and corss back to mottled, then you should start seeing some blue mottled.
    See post #2.

6. sjcshawna

Jan 22, 2012
    Fordsville, KY
    oohhh okay thank you very much i probably would have never figured that out, thank you very much for the much needed knowledge. I'm just starting out with my cochins.

7. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Mottle is a recessive gene. Meaning that a bird needs two copies of the gene for it to show in adult plumage (it will sometimes show in juvenile plumage with only one copy, but that will molt out). First cross of mottle to splash or blue will put one copy of the gene into the offspring. Cross the blue ones back to mottle and you will add a second gene to about half the birds (the other half will have inherited not-mottle from their mottle split parent. Blue inherits as usual, meaning that if bred to black, about half will inherit blue. A percentage will inherit blue and two copies of mottling in that second cross.

1 person likes this.
  8. sjcshawna

Jan 22, 2012
    Fordsville, KY
    wow that sounds complicated i had better write it down. It sounds like it is going to take me a while to get where i want for that color a lot of crossing a recrossing, but i can do it(i hope) it will just take a little while to get there!!![​IMG]

9. sjcshawna

Jan 22, 2012
    Fordsville, KY
    Do you think he would throw good color to start the blue mottles
    [​IMG]

10. sjcshawna

Jan 22, 2012
    Fordsville, KY
    He is still young

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by