Making children accountable for chicken chores

Since they want egg money divide the amount of money you make on eggs and divide it by how many days it has been since the last egg sale. If it was 7 days and they only did the chores 4 times then pay them 4 days worth of egg money. Cause in the end they still worked. That way they are paid on commition and learn that more work = more $$

Last edited:
Quote:
This was how I was raised. Those who were dependant upon me were taken care of before I got breakfast - and again in the evening, they were taken care of before I ate supper.

thumbsup.gif

Quote:
This was how I was raised. Those who were dependant upon me were taken care of before I got breakfast - and again in the evening, they were taken care of before I ate supper.

Amen to these! I grew up in a different time, when kids were aware that having EVERYTHING and doing NOTHING was not gonna happen. If they don't do their chores, there needs to be punishment. They all have such an attitude of entitlement.

Quote:
There hasn't been alot of chicken money lately, since it has been over 110 each day egg production is slow. However the chore problem has just gotten bad in the past few wks. They are responsible for feed cost, so most of the money went to feed this month.

I have one child that is so stubborn she would go without food & make the chickens go without just to prove a point! I have found the birds without water & wouldn't let the kids come back in until every bird was finished drinking, it was hot out & kids didn't say a word or try to object. However that didn't stick with my girls very long.

You don't eat until your animal chores are done here. Flat out. Someone else does your chores, they get the pay for the day AND you pay them for doing your work. Sometimes planned, sometimes assigned. I assign, it will be the sibling you are mad at.

Quote:
They usually don't miss all the chores, just maybe a water here or feeder, sometimes they miss a whole coop, I don't think I ever find a coop that doesn't need something else finished. It takes me double checking the coops day & night. There is always something in each left undone, sometimes it is just something as simple as nesting boxes cleaned out. I get the most upset when it is water left dry or not cleaned properly. If I ever find green water I am a mad mom! Each water is suppose to be emptied daily & filled. We scrub them throughly at least 1 time a wk. Definatly going to have to talk it over w DH & see if we van come to an agreement. He isn't home w the kids & birds so he doesn't realize there is always something left undone.

When I boarded my horse in a University co-op barn that had a lot of new students coming in (and then leaving) each semester, we had a pretty good routine. For each "chore session", there was a sheet that listed each individual job (hay in each stall, water each stall, grain, supplements, hay in pastures, water in pastures, sweep, lights out, etc) with a space to initial. When you did the job, you initialed the spot. Later, if you hadn't in fact done what you said you did, you could be called to task.

I could see a variation on this (which I think other posters - maybe you - have already suggested) working out well for your girls. Since you say that most of the things seem to get done, but not everything in every coop, it could just be a bit of summertime forgetfulness. Posting *exactly* what needs to be done with a space to account for who did it could take care of the issue. You still might need to check up, especially in the beginning, but having everything laid out clearly can make a job with lots of "nit-picky" parts a lot easier. It might be even better if you could get the list laminated and have one out with a dry erase marker by each coop....

I have mixed thoughts about the idea of taking away egg money/making them pay you to do the chores. On the one hand, if the chickens are their responsibility, they should take care of them - being able to "pay you" to do it is a bit of a cop-out if they don't need the money. On the other hand, well, that's the way the real world works, right? If they can still afford to "pay you" to do the chores, and make a profit (somehow!
tongue.png
) then maybe that's "okay". I'm glad my son is only four and still gladly helps take care of our chooks. I'm sure I'll be the one asking for advice in 5 years!
lol.png

Sorry I really don't have any ideas
hu.gif
I was always the one trying to talk my mom into letting me get chickens
gig.gif
I have been taking care of my chickens since I as 12. I must say I actually like taking care of them. . . . and talking to them
hide.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom