Making composted chicken manure when using wood ash in coop?

jenanoelle

Hatching
Jul 31, 2021
Hey guys, I've been using wood ash in the coop for dust baths and to keep the ever-rising ph down and kick the ammonia out of the air for my gals... does this mean that I can't repurpose/compost the manure in to something I can use in the garden (edible plants)?

I would! Just mix in the coop cleanings with other plant sources, like leaves, straw, kitchen waste (no meat, eggs or dairy) , grass trimmings (if no herbicides/insecticides used) and etcetera. The compost works faster with chicken coop waste included and likely contains more Nitrogen in the finished product. Diversity of materials is good! My gardens love it! I do not add coop waste to my red worm composting bin, only fruit and vegetable/plant waste, then with no onion, citrus, manure or meat/dairy. The worms hate citrus and onions and the meat/dairy creates flies, rats and potential human disease issues into a composting project. I think the wood ashes mixed with chicken waste will, when mixed with a diverse plant material base, make a fine composted fertilizer! While I never add wood ashes to my compost pile, I think when mixed with chicken coop waste I would give it a go! Just my opinion, no science. Best wishes for you!

Thanks birdsong, I'll give it a go! I think my biggest concern was because of the wood ash (alkaline) and bird waste (acidic) that I wouldn't get the heat necessary for composting/getting rid of bad bacteria. Can anyone chime in on the safety aspect?

Back
Top Bottom