Making Feed from Japanese Beetles

We are trying this again. First round we used equal amounts (on a dry weight basis) frozen beetle biomass and soybean meal. Mixing duration was 20 minutes. Pellet integrity was poor (too friable) so this round replacing soybean meal by half and its entirety with wheat flour. Already seeing differences during the mixing process which will be run for a longer duration of 30 minutes. Much more dust when replacement complete. Objective is to create pellets with materials we can acquire from most midwestern feed meals without using imported animal protein.

Image below depicts appearance of pelleted formulations where half (right) of soybean meal used in formulation above is replaced by wheat flour and all (left) of the soybean meal is replaced by wheat floor. Neither diet contains binding agent used in the first diet, yet pellets holding together well. Pellet integrity is improved in both formulations resulting in fewer fines that are potential waste. The diet on left appears darker with less chunky pieces where pellets would break, The coarse nature of soybean meal my need to be addressed by grinding. Fish are hammering both diets so chickens will almost certainly do same when they get the chance.

13 HALF SBM WHEAT FLOUR ALL WHEAT FLOUR.jpg

Here is same to diets and results of a sorting experiment using sieves. The fines and other smaller grades may still be of value as feed, possibly even for chicks.

Top row is the formulation where wheat flour and beetle biomass are equal.

Bottom row has same amount of beetle biomass with soybean meal and wheat flour in equal proportions

14 HALF SBM WHEAT FLOUR ALL WHEAT FLOUR SORTED.jpg

Below are weights of mixes after sorting the sieves. Presorting not pictured
Weights

Presorting*, Pellets, 0.157" to 0.0787", 0.0787" to 0.0394", < 0.0394"
Wheat Only 291.7 g, 279.4 g, 8.1 g, 3.0 g , 1.0 g
Soybean / Wheat 261.0 g, 219.5 g, 25.8 g, 10.9 g, 3.8 g

Wheat only has much less in the way of fines, roughly 1/3 as much when compared to mixture including soybean meal.

Made a major advance towards practicality with respect to processing. We took some frozen beetle biomass and simply ran it through the meat grinder. The ground "meat" was air dried at room temperature overnight. The died material was subjected to modest mortar and pestle treatment to break up clumps. Material appears as shown below. Bulk density is almost 3 times higher than for simply dried beetles and drying was much faster using lower cost approach.

15 JPB FROZEN GROUND AIRDIRED.jpg

I was hoping to be able to extract oil from this mess using an oil press, but not looking so good.

I need fresh beetles from which to make feed. Storing whole without dehydration may degrade nutrients in a big way. We will be indirectly testing for that this summer. In the meantime I will be setting up traps to collect new beetles that will be processed immediately after capture. Traps will be harvested daily in the evening as going home from work. Containers used to collect beetles attracted to lure will be 5-gallon buckets to control cost.

Below are vendor and items to be acquired.

http://www.greatlakesipm.com/jbtraps.html

JB Top Assembly - Yellow TR-9001 $ 10.50 each

JB Baitpack: 1 Floral Lure and 1 Sex Lure TR-9003 $ 4.25 each

This is a very interesting thread. . Disgusting. But very interesting. I am going to get one of those traps and treat it like a seasonal food source. But if you guys can preserve them, you will have done a good thing. That is a lot of potential protein. Squeezing them for oil... Mmmmm Mmmmm delicious.

Back
Top Bottom