Making Lemonade [Selective Culling Project - very long term]

Took a Rooster this AM, no picture, he looked pretty much like the others reds. 5.84# live weight. I wanted to take one of the more crimson Roos as well,but they are on to me, and I'm too old to run them down on acres, then wait for them to cvalm enough that all those stress hormones have a chance to fade away. (also, feels like 95 - I'm not sure I could run a chicken down in this temps/humidty). Mostly, I selected this bird because he was the slowest - had the start of bumblefoot in both! feet (swollen pads when viewed from underneath, obvious scab over some piercing injury in each. For reasons of sanitation, I didn't open them up to poke around and see what he jumped on)

Took a duck as well, 6.28 live weight - one of the older hens. Couldn't catch any more of those, either.

Bones for stock, the meat is going for sausage as a blend of the two - wanted to try it, see if it resulted in a "meatier" (that is, more beef-life) burger.

DDepends on what
We're having chicken soup tonight made with the birds we butchered this spring.

What are you having?
Depends on what is on special at the grocery store, where I am headed now. The birds I've taken over the last couple days need to rest some. Yesterday was a taco pizza made with goat meat. Good day prior was the last of the frozen steaks, brussel sprouts, and a baked potato. Don't recall the day before that. I think it was a spicy goat soup and yellow rice. With some of the strained goat meat becoming last night's taco pizza. So I guess I'm hoping that either fish or pork is on special at the grocery store, aren't I?

DDepends on what

Depends on what is on special at the grocery store, where I am headed now. The birds I've taken over the last couple days need to rest some. Yesterday was a taco pizza made with goat meat. Good day prior was the last of the frozen steaks, brussel sprouts, and a baked potato. Don't recall the day before that. I think it was a spicy goat soup and yellow rice. With some of the strained goat meat becoming last night's taco pizza. So I guess I'm hoping that either fish or pork is on special at the grocery store, aren't I?
Pressure Canned chicken doesn't require resting. It tenderizes as it cooks in the jar inside the pressure cooker. It's a good way to store meat for soup, & stew.

You'll know when you get there :p .

Pressure Canned chicken doesn't require resting. It tenderizes as it cooks in the jar inside the pressure cooker. It's a good way to store meat for soup, & stew.

You'll know when you get there :p .
Not set up to pressure can right now. In part for lack of patience. Would rather just take a handful of chickens and plan meals around it for the next week or so. Preseason while they rest then straight into the Crock-Pot to cook or Frozen and labeled for later.

Not set up to pressure can right now. In part for lack of patience. Would rather just take a handful of chickens and plan meals around it for the next week or so. Preseason while they rest then straight into the Crock-Pot to cook or Frozen and labeled for later.
That works too.

Back
Top Bottom