Making Lemonade [Selective Culling Project - very long term]

THAT is the weight I was expecting.

Had planned a culling today, but it was raining, so instead I worked on the grow out pen and the rabbit runs (which the female rabbits continue to escape from) as well as upgrading my satelite internet with a new, higher, mount which doesn't move in high winds or heavy rains. (I was using a 6' piece of 1 1/2" NMC with a wire spool as a base).

No pictures, more work to do tomorrow.
Really? What's your thoughts on the weights of the chicks so far?

Another busy day too? I dropped Silkies off at a friend's, helped butcher their Cornish X. Also had to throw brush on the trailer, & treat a couple chickens for Scaly Leg Mites. The hen is done with her 3 day treatment, the rooster has another day, or two on his.

Early on, Thing 4 was 16.5 oz at 4 weeks, I took him at 61.2 oz and 12 weeks when he was rehomed. Thing 3 was a monster, 28.9 oz at 4 weeks, took him for table at 12 weeks 89.9 oz, over 5.5#! That was the end of my Cx genes... at least the fast growth genes. Dopey and Bash were near those weights at 4 weeks, but I sold them just after 9 weeks (3# and 3# 4 oz), and I've not seen weights like those since.

But once I got my calendar right in my head, just over 1# was where I expected those birds to be, based on early weights. I expect they will follow something like Thing 4's growth rate, and be a trifle heavier than Dopey and Bash when they hit 9 weeks.

Early on, Thing 4 was 16.5 oz at 4 weeks, I took him at 61.2 oz and 12 weeks when he was rehomed. Thing 3 was a monster, 28.9 oz at 4 weeks, took him for table at 12 weeks 89.9 oz, over 5.5#! That was the end of my Cx genes... at least the fast growth genes. Dopey and Bash were near those weights at 4 weeks, but I sold them just after 9 weeks (3# and 3# 4 oz), and I've not seen weights like those since.

But once I got my calendar right in my head, just over 1# was where I expected those birds to be, based on early weights. I expect they will follow something like Thing 4's growth rate, and be a trifle heavier than Dopey and Bash when they hit 9 weeks.
Not bad weights for your birds at an early age.

We'll find out as the weeks go by.

Culling day until it rains. Remember the fallen!

Old birds, many will be 1 year plus or minus.
1657908571245754652505731205093.jpg
16579086175156046005011884004501.jpg

Color on the fat. Just a little too much of it. See how buttery yellow the liver looks? Still glossy, no lesions, but it broke apart pretty easily as I was disrobing the bird.
16579099111393558354615274441946.jpg

Had to take some of the excess fat off the gizzard as well, got a little dirty as I was cleaning it out. Appears I trimmed my fingernails a little too closely to be able to grab that leathery inner lining and peel it off easily..

Color on the fat. Just a little too much of it. See how buttery yellow the liver looks? Still glossy, no lesions, but it broke apart pretty easily as I was disrobing the bird.View attachment 3187271

Had to take some of the excess fat off the gizzard as well, got a little dirty as I was cleaning it out. Appears I trimmed my fingernails a little too closely to be able to grab that leathery inner lining and peel it off easily..
So the liver, do you know why it crumbled?

Back
Top Bottom