Making Lemonade [Selective Culling Project - very long term]

Yes. Already lost her first hatchling. Lost a second that died while exiting the shell. The two pictured are the only ones which have made it, and the rest of the eggs appear abandoned. I need to use the cell phone flashlight when she's off the nest to see if there is any movement in any of them.
Do you have an incubator you can get started to finish up the hatch if they're still alive?

I do - I incubated all last year, basically every three weeks. We've not been using it because we have too many chickens already, because running the microwave while the AC is going trips the master fuse (so we've been trying to cut power use) and because anything that generates heat inside the RV while the AC is struggling is to be avoided. But yes, I could incubate in the shed (and plan to) if any of the eggs are still viable.

[and that's a reminder I need to dig thru the shed, see if I have a replacement fuse or two, since its possible these old tandems have tripped so often that they are starting to trip prematurely.]

Culling the darker red roos is part of reducing flock size, too. I already have hens with bare patches - if I take a number of black hens out of the mix, and don't continue to shrink the male population, it will only get worse. and I've already culled the Roos who had other undesired, so now its just picking between reds...

I do - I incubated all last year, basically every three weeks. We've not been using it because we have too many chickens already, because running the microwave while the AC is going trips the master fuse (so we've been trying to cut power use) and because anything that generates heat inside the RV while the AC is struggling is to be avoided. But yes, I could incubate in the shed (and plan to) if any of the eggs are still viable.

[and that's a reminder I need to dig thru the shed, see if I have a replacement fuse or two, since its possible these old tandems have tripped so often that they are starting to trip prematurely.]

Culling the darker red roos is part of reducing flock size, too. I already have hens with bare patches - if I take a number of black hens out of the mix, and don't continue to shrink the male population, it will only get worse. and I've already culled the Roos who had other undesired, so now its just picking between reds...
Oh, the roosters, thought you meant all darker red birds.

Oh, the roosters, thought you meant all darker red birds.
No, just the roos. Oddly, I have few dark red hens. and I need to start removing the Comets and "Rainbows" as well. Both from the original flock, now entering their third year.

Apart from the Brahma I've promised to keep, I'd like to have nothing but my own hatchings on site by next April.

No, just the roos. Oddly, I have few dark red hens. and I need to start removing the Comets and "Rainbows" as well. Both from the original flock, now entering their third year.

Apart from the Brahma I've promised to keep, I'd like to have nothing but my own hatchings on site by next April.
The Comets are probably what are throwing the white chicks, since they carry dominant white, so would be a good idea to remove them.

The Comets are probably what are throwing the white chicks, since they carry dominant white, so would be a good idea to remove them.
THAT is what I needed to know, thanks. Makes the decisions much easier. They are also the smallest birds, which I need to select against eventually as well.

Weight update of Big Fatty, & her brother at 5 weeks. They're both 1bl, 2oz.

No pictures this time, didn't have my phone on me.
THAT is the weight I was expecting.

Had planned a culling today, but it was raining, so instead I worked on the grow out pen and the rabbit runs (which the female rabbits continue to escape from) as well as upgrading my satelite internet with a new, higher, mount which doesn't move in high winds or heavy rains. (I was using a 6' piece of 1 1/2" NMC with a wire spool as a base).

No pictures, more work to do tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom