Making Lemonade [Selective Culling Project - very long term]

Finally got a good picture of that damned bird I've been trying to chase down from the hatch before last.

FB_IMG_1661954048807.jpg

I know you aren't looking to add any breeds, but I think I accidentally created something close to what you're looking for in pattern, and relatively fast growing. Bielefelder x RIR. 10 weeks and they got some heft to them - significantly more than the same aged Bielefelder x Barred rock. Should attempt to weight them. They got a photo shoot tonight to attempt to sell locally, because they'll be butcher age when I'm full term pregnant and that doesn't sound like fun.

Attachments

• PXL_20220909_005952231~2.jpg
    PXL_20220909_005952231~2.jpg
    529.6 KB · Views: 5
  • PXL_20220909_010054160~2.jpg
    PXL_20220909_010054160~2.jpg
    627.8 KB · Views: 5
  • PXL_20220909_010147651~2.jpg
    PXL_20220909_010147651~2.jpg
    584.9 KB · Views: 5
I know you aren't looking to add any breeds, but I think I accidentally created something close to what you're looking for in pattern, and relatively fast growing. Bielefelder x RIR. 10 weeks and they got some heft to them - significantly more than the same aged Bielefelder x Barred rock. Should attempt to weight them. They got a photo shoot tonight to attempt to sell locally, because they'll be butcher age when I'm full term pregnant and that doesn't sound like fun.
Yes, those look like they would work well on my grounds. How are they for free ranging and predator awareness???

Also, our hopes for your smooth, swift, and successful delivery.

Yes, those look like they would work well on my grounds. How are they for free ranging and predator awareness???

Also, our hopes for your smooth, swift, and successful delivery.

Thanks!

I'm honestly not too sure on the free ranging and predator awareness. They seem decent, but I'm relatively new to chickens. The sire is very predator aware to the point that some of the hens have gotten sick of running to hide when he sounds off yet again about a low flying airplane, or big truck, or neighbor dog etc... These guys' Mom is middle of the flock for awareness I'd say.
They love to free range, but I don't know how to judge effectiveness.

Thanks!

I'm honestly not too sure on the free ranging and predator awareness. They seem decent, but I'm relatively new to chickens. The sire is very predator aware to the point that some of the hens have gotten sick of running to hide when he sounds off yet again about a low flying airplane, or big truck, or neighbor dog etc... These guys' Mom is middle of the flock for awareness I'd say.
They love to free range, but I don't know how to judge effectiveness.
How much about do you feed per bird?

So @U_Stormcrow , I know this isn't exactly the color you're looking for, but A, I want to show her off and B, I'm actually quite curious.

Would you be Yay or Nay to this color popping up in a clutch? This is the female version of the color
View attachment 3254119View attachment 3254120
I would be Nay - I'm desperately trying to get rid of white. It stands out on my property, even against the paler sands, and most of my predation problems are aerial... An attractive "creamsickle" color, but not a good one for me.

I would be Nay - I'm desperately trying to get rid of white. It stands out on my property, even against the paler sands, and most of my predation problems are aerial... An attractive "creamsickle" color, but not a good one for me.
Okay. That's what I was thinking, but figured I'd ask. Is the red near what you're looking for, or too light?

Back
Top Bottom