Making Lemonade [Selective Culling Project - very long term]

May as well if their other fate is just compost
I'll use the bones for stock regardless, - we actually set aside "smoked" bones for stock for things like gumbo. Brick roux is wonderful, don't get me wrong, but having bones from smoked chickens to render into stock makes sure you don't water down all that effort with a neutral base.

/edit though there is almost no "smoke" flavor in the bones. Its VERY subtle.

removed three non-dominate roos today. None had colors I was particuarly interested in, all where about 7.5# before they began their preparation for freezer camp. No photos.

Hearts and livers looked good. The youngest was from the last hatch of last year, the other two had to have been two +/-. The oldest two were so well put together, I had to use a knife to disrobe them. I had trouble ripping the skin, and the connection points at the breast, thigh, wing, saddle were so tough I couldn't just pull the skin off - tha's where I had to do some knife work. The younger bird was easier, but not easy, if you follow.

Wanted to take at least two others, but the birds were on to me, I couldn't catch anyone else.

I say again, you are a FAR FAR FAR better shot than I.
Thanks, but...ummm... no. This was practically a contact shot. Less than 1" away.

I used a .22 revolver. The first time, I was totally unprepared for the "death throes," and thought I'd missed the brain. The second rooster, I shot him and walked away until he was still.

Just in case anyone wants any more information... Use a fishing net with large holes so you can see what you're doing. I did this on a sandy area, aiming at the ground. The bullet went safely into the dirt.

Using a revolver ensures that you will be able to get a second/third/whatever shot, should you need it. There is the possibility of blowback (flesh or blood getting into the slide and disabling the gun), though maybe not much with a chicken. Or another semi-auto malfunction disabling the gun.

Stuck in the net, the chicken isn't going anywhere, but the animal deserves as quick and painless a death as you can give it.

@U_Stormcrow, have you ever had Skordalia? I just learned of it today, and it sounds delicious.

Lots and lots of garlic made me think of you.
I have not. and well that you should think of me. I need a starch for tommorow night. We have a huge pork loin I cooked tonight. Can take a chicnk off and season it greek for tommorow -seems a lovely time for a pork lemonato.

Thank you!

This is RUG, "Rooster of Unknown Genetics", and the first potential deficiency in my plans. [Weight: ] My only Rooster.

He's a product of rehoming, age unknown (believed over one year, less than three) and has already produced prior generations at his old home. Has also sired his first hatching at mine, 8 December 20.

View attachment 2443676

Pro: Good Size, Pattern, large single comb, clean yellow legs with an orange/red tone on the sides. Known to sire offspring. Appears to be an adequate and protective free ranger.

Cons: Unknown breed/ancestry, age, speed of growth.
Belefelder barred rock mix I believe

Back
Top Bottom