Making Lemonade [Selective Culling Project - very long term]

Pics
How much weight difference do you see between the cockerels and the Pullets?
Two much variation in my mutts to answer that accurately. At the ages I cull males, I'd guess my hens are around 3.5-4#+/-. But I don't cull hens that young, mostly, so I don't weigh them. The males have ranged from 4.3# to over 6# at the same age, about 5 months.

Waffling on keeping this bird beyond next week's cull. He's big and getting bigger. He's maturing. He has both the Silver, and some Brahma Genetics (pattern, feet - the feet of course I want to get rid of, the pattern I want to keep). If he stays, Big Barred goes. Big Barred being also Brahma big, but no red/silver at all, has already sired many of the current generation.

1643224777908.png

But he's ugly, and I'm worried he has some of the Blue Gene in him as well (as Big Barred does, though it doesn't show).

The community's thoughts on this would be appreciated.

I'm worried he has some of the Blue Gene in him as well (as Big Barred does, though it doesn't show).
You mean the blue gene that turns black into blue or splash?

It would affect all black on the bird-- either he has it or he does not have it, but he should not be able to carry it without showing it. (The only possible exception: if the "black" in his feathers were actually a very dark blue.)

You mean the blue gene that turns black into blue or splash?

It would affect all black on the bird-- either he has it or he does not have it, but he should not be able to carry it without showing it. (The only possible exception: if the "black" in his feathers were actually a very dark blue.)
I've got some birds that are clearly black on top (with the green sheen, in fact), but have fluffy blue-grey bottoms. I assumed that was the Blue Gene?

Here's Phoenix Blue from back in July - Has put on little weight since, still at 6#+
1643225594912.png

and Big Barred at the same time. Big Barred was 5.6# then, he's got to be close to 8# now. Some of his (I think they were his) offspring have had the blue/grey rather than the darker black of his barring.

1643225627447.png

I'll see if I can't find one of the black top, grey bottom birds and take a fresh photo.

Last edited:
I've got some birds that are clearly black on top (with the green sheen, in fact), but have fluffy blue-grey bottoms. I assumed that was the Blue Gene?
Looking at your photos, Phoenix Blue should certainly have blue.
But I'm not seeing blue in your photo of Big Barred.

Big Barred... Some of his (I think they were his) offspring have had the blue/grey rather than the darker black of his barring.
I can see three options:
a) they were not fathered by him
b) they were fathered by him, but got the blue from their mothers
c) they were fathered by him, and he was really a very dark blue instead of black

For any chicken with Dominant White (turns black to white), you cannot tell whether they also have blue or not. So that's one way it could possibly hide in your hens, depending on whether any have Dominant White.

I'll see if I can't find one of the black top, grey bottom birds and take a fresh photo.
I'd love to see photos, but I do have trouble telling dark blue apart from black (especially in photos), so I'm not sure how much help I'll be there.

Looking at your photos, Phoenix Blue should certainly have blue.
But I'm not seeing blue in your photo of Big Barred.

I can see three options:
a) they were not fathered by him
b) they were fathered by him, but got the blue from their mothers
c) they were fathered by him, and he was really a very dark blue instead of black

For any chicken with Dominant White (turns black to white), you cannot tell whether they also have blue or not. So that's one way it could possibly hide in your hens, depending on whether any have Dominant White.

I'd love to see photos, but I do have trouble telling dark blue apart from black (especially in photos), so I'm not sure how much help I'll be there.
Nope, this was VERY useful. I went looking for the male I had in mind - he has a lot of red on top, blue bottom, thinking he also had black on top - as do the other males of similar overall pattern. and NO, its definitely grey. I had "merged" bits of two in my mind.

1643226883888.png

and Big Barred was MOST cooperative for a weigh in. 8.38#. Age about 1 year.

Agree @JacinLarkwell , his time is done (as soon as I have freezer space.. As is Phoenix'. and the remaining mostly white girls *who will go first*. Then Bigg Barred, then most of the remaining Columbians w/o the Blue gene. Leaving Ugly and a Columbian male with some hint of a pattern in places.

Back
Top Bottom