Making Lemonade [Selective Culling Project - very long term]

Pics
Back in the 80s I got a male and 2 female ñz California mix rabbits.... I didn't know to keep them separated except to breed. :barnieJust dumped them in the fenced yard and never had babies. ... Figured God knew I would have trouble bopping bunny fufus in the head and I would have been hip deep in bunnies 😱
Eventually the 2 does died from what I don't know. The male dug out and would wander around and come back, until he didn't... Found a scrap of white fur hide in the bottom land. Figured a coyote got him. He was probably too big for a hawk and we didn't have many big hawks then
I have a pair, doe and a buck, that don't do well in solo cages and dont get along with anyone else. I'm not worried about extra litters with them because she Will not lift for a buck. Good mama and big litters but needs to be table bred and thats just not pleasant. The doe will being going to the freezer when ever I get around to it, and so will the buck when ever his replacement grows up a bit.

Tht's just.... STUPID. No wonder they are used frequently as a meat source!

Considering all the things I've read about the difficulties of breeding meat rabbits I'm amazed that they manage to go feral and become invasive. One would think they'd die off.

I suppose they're the furry equivalent of the Cornish X.

Considering all the things I've read about the difficulties of breeding meat rabbits I'm amazed that they manage to go feral and become invasive. One would think they'd die off.

I suppose they're the furry equivalent of the Cornish X.
The most common feral rabbits are the pet variety. Meaties are normally too large and too food or doe obsessed to bother with escaping. And are easier to hit with a 22 the few times they do.

The most common feral rabbits are the pet variety. Meaties are normally too large and too food or doe obsessed to bother with escaping. And are easier to hit with a 22 the few times they do.
X2.

Before that nasty fever hit, the ferals in Billings were all medium sized or smaller. Most were Netherland mixes

Tht's just.... STUPID. No wonder they are used frequently as a meat source!
Sometimes rabbits breed easily, sometimes they don't.

The meat rabbits have been bred to produce well when managed in a particular way. If you change how you manage them, some may still do well, but some may not. :idunno

Just as with your chickens, you have to start somewhere, but then you can select in the direction of what you want. You can eat rabbits at any age, just like you can eat chickens at any age ;)

Highs in the mid 80s, lows in the 60s. My three new ducks are all of 11 or 12 days old, but they are moving to the grow out pen today to get the constant wet feed smell out of the RV - my wife will appreciate. I need to candle eggs tonight to see how the chickens are doing.

Most signs of fowl pox are disappeared from the main flock.

Highs in the mid 80s, lows in the 60s. My three new ducks are all of 11 or 12 days old, but they are moving to the grow out pen today to get the constant wet feed smell out of the RV - my wife will appreciate. I need to candle eggs tonight to see how the chickens are doing.

Most signs of fowl pox are disappeared from the main flock.

That southern cold snap really screwed up brooding plans, huh?

Signature updated.

We had a baby goat (male) born this AM, and I hatched some ducks a while back - we lost one, the other two have been added to the sig. Addiotnally, we now have three rabbits. Blackberry Jam (doe), Peanut Bunny (doe), and Lil Bunny Snu-Snu (buck).

Chick hatching expected in a few days. Start replacing older layers mid fall.

Back
Top Bottom