Making Lemonade [Selective Culling Project - very long term]

Pics
Peanut Bunny and Little Bunny Snu-Snu
1650495378848.png

Fair confident I'm going to have to dig out and pour some concrete as a divider. The runs for the bunnies are sort of narrow, roughly 5x12, I don't want to apron them to prevent digging and give up yet more space, so a below ground wall is the only practical option. That or bricks - whichever is cheapest.

I've seen a rabbit dig a ten foot hole, nearly a foot diameter, in 2 or 3 hours. I don't trust rabbits on the ground. We have too much wild rabbits here as well that pass on diseases. And ticks.
Fortunately, I have acres. But if either of these bunnies starts digging a 10' hole, I'll have layed wire on every horizontal surface w/i 24 hours.
Currently, Snu Snu has a little area of clay he's dug about 4" deep. So cute to see his paws on the wire, painted red-orange with dirt, against his black fur.

Fortunately, I have acres. But if either of these bunnies starts digging a 10' hole, I'll have layed wire on every horizontal surface w/i 24 hours.
Currently, Snu Snu has a little area of clay he's dug about 4" deep. So cute to see his paws on the wire, painted red-orange with dirt, against his black fur.
Respectfully.. Australia had alot of land when rabbits were introduced. Rabbits can't be trusted to go feral. Just wanted to make sure you know how fast they dig. I only had that experience because I had to leave a doe in a room of the barn while rearranging cages.

Respectfully.. Australia had alot of land when rabbits were introduced. Rabbits can't be trusted to go feral. Just wanted to make sure you know how fast they dig. I only had that experience because I had to leave a doe in a room of the barn while rearranging cages.
No, I appreciate the insight - we are bringing in two females (inclusive of the one we have), and the one male. If they escape their respective runs, its about 200' in one direction till they reach the electric fence and a few feet more to the property line - so that's my "window" for recapturing one. The other directions are 200 ft to the electric fence, yes, but somewhat further to the property line.

If I see digging beheviors more than a few inches, I will *aggressively* put a stop to it.

Peanut Bunny and Little Bunny Snu-Snu
View attachment 3071609
Fair confident I'm going to have to dig out and pour some concrete as a divider. The runs for the bunnies are sort of narrow, roughly 5x12, I don't want to apron them to prevent digging and give up yet more space, so a below ground wall is the only practical option. That or bricks - whichever is cheapest.
Please tell me Snu snu is a Futurama reference

Yes.

Its also a reminder to me to bring the female to the male for breeding. Female bunnies are apparently so territorial that if I do it in the opposite order, bringing him to her, she'll kill him. So... "Snu Snu".
Back in the 80s I got a male and 2 female ñz California mix rabbits.... I didn't know to keep them separated except to breed. :barnieJust dumped them in the fenced yard and never had babies. ... Figured God knew I would have trouble bopping bunny fufus in the head and I would have been hip deep in bunnies 😱
Eventually the 2 does died from what I don't know. The male dug out and would wander around and come back, until he didn't... Found a scrap of white fur hide in the bottom land. Figured a coyote got him. He was probably too big for a hawk and we didn't have many big hawks then

Back
Top Bottom