Making Lemonade [Selective Culling Project - very long term]

Pics
and we have a new layer! Two, actually. Comet Eggs at right for comparison.

The first is from P1-02, Sleepy (22 weeks, 4 days)

The second is from this bird (below), whom I've yet to identify. Got away from me before I could see a leg band.

1623072355206.png

1623072842210.png

I think I need to read this again and maybe chart for myself which genes, other than Barring, are sex linked, an don which chromosome. It won't do me much good to have sex linked barred offspring if they keep getting the Silver gene with the barring. I'm trying not to make well defined hawk targets ;)

I don't think you will have a problem.

Barring and gold/silver are on the Z (sex) chromosome, as you know. So are slow/fast feathering, sex-linked dwarfism, and light/dark skin (Id, for "Inhibitor of dermal melanin.) If you had dwarfism you'd probably know, feathering speed might matter to you, and I haven't seen you mention leg color. The other genes on the sex chromosome are one's I'm happy to ignore, because it either doesn't matter (eye color) or isn't found in commercial chickens (wingless?!).

Because a female only has one Z chromosome, she passes everything on it to each of her sons.

But since a male has two Z chromosomes, sometimes the chromosomes can swap parts with each other (sorry, that's a sloppy way to put it, but I think it's close to correct.)

Barring and silver/gold are far enough apart that they do not act linked, even though we know they must both be on the Z chromosome. So a male who's heterozygous for barring and for silver can pass them to his own chicks in any combination, at roughly equal rates.

Silver/gold is closely linked to slow feathering, and barring is linked to dark skin, but that may not matter to you.

I got the linkages from here:
http://www.edelras.nl/chickengenetics/linkages.html
The numbers for "map unit distance" stand for 1% chance of crossing over becoming linked the other way). So a distance of 10 makes a 10% chance, while a distance of 50 makes a 50% rate which is the same rate as random chance. You can pretty much ignore the "linkage" in those cases, unless it's on a female's only Z chromosome.

(I've read that some of the information on that chart may be inaccurate, because it's based on old research and some things have been discovered or better understood since, but I keep referring to it because I haven't found a better one.)

I don't think you will have a problem.

Barring and gold/silver are on the Z (sex) chromosome, as you know. So are slow/fast feathering, sex-linked dwarfism, and light/dark skin (Id, for "Inhibitor of dermal melanin.) If you had dwarfism you'd probably know, feathering speed might matter to you, and I haven't seen you mention leg color. The other genes on the sex chromosome are one's I'm happy to ignore, because it either doesn't matter (eye color) or isn't found in commercial chickens (wingless?!).

Because a female only has one Z chromosome, she passes everything on it to each of her sons.

But since a male has two Z chromosomes, sometimes the chromosomes can swap parts with each other (sorry, that's a sloppy way to put it, but I think it's close to correct.)

Barring and silver/gold are far enough apart that they do not act linked, even though we know they must both be on the Z chromosome. So a male who's heterozygous for barring and for silver can pass them to his own chicks in any combination, at roughly equal rates.

Silver/gold is closely linked to slow feathering, and barring is linked to dark skin, but that may not matter to you.

I got the linkages from here:
http://www.edelras.nl/chickengenetics/linkages.html
The numbers for "map unit distance" stand for 1% chance of crossing over becoming linked the other way). So a distance of 10 makes a 10% chance, while a distance of 50 makes a 50% rate which is the same rate as random chance. You can pretty much ignore the "linkage" in those cases, unless it's on a female's only Z chromosome.

(I've read that some of the information on that chart may be inaccurate, because it's based on old research and some things have been discovered or better understood since, but I keep referring to it because I haven't found a better one.)
That's consistent with the source I linked earlier. Thanks! (It also has a number of question marks where new Research has added uncertainty, or old research wasn't conclusive)

P2-01 #8 and
1623157352010.png

Eight, by the way, is mostly white-ish with a distinctly yellow toned head and wings, when viewed from the top, now that its all dry and fluffy.

#9 hatched late last night and early this AM. #9 is from the Comet egg, no chipmunk pattern on the back, and his/her yellow is distinctly "more" than the "not white" yellows of the other chicks, that's not a camera trick. Most pronounced when viewed from the side, and at the back/tail - essentially a mirror of eight in intensity of yellow tones.

1623157102492.png

My wife has taken to calling one of the black hatchlings "Tux", for "Tuxedo", but not the same black one each time...

Anyhow, since eight of the nine survived the hatching process, I'm in need of eight (or perhaps 7) names.

Last edited:
I am really interested in your project, I am working on a flock of Rhode Island Reds as my main flock but, as a side project, I have a blue game roo, a red game hen and a red sex link that all stay in the same coop. I have been hatching out some of their eggs and while the colors are all over the place, they are some beautiful chicks. I will continue to follow this as closely as I can. Thank you for posting this project...

I am really interested in your project, I am working on a flock of Rhode Island Reds as my main flock but, as a side project, I have a blue game roo, a red game hen and a red sex link that all stay in the same coop. I have been hatching out some of their eggs and while the colors are all over the place, they are some beautiful chicks. I will continue to follow this as closely as I can. Thank you for posting this project...
Thank you for following. Feedback helps me to maintain focus on the project, and some of the posters have been instrumental in which (and when) I cull to help the process along.

Encourage you to start a thread of your own - even if proceeding very casually, beautiful chicks are always a welcome sight. I don't think "mutts" get enough credit, and I personally love blue birds, they just don't suit my needs.

Just caught up on this thread. Very interesting I will be following along as well. I have a bunch of pantry emptiers at the moment, until I butcher most of the meaties and figure out male or female on the rest.
I'll be breeding for dual purpose and not caring much yet of the colors they end up. Interesting to see how color/pattern development is going for you.

Back
Top Bottom