Making Lemonade [Selective Culling Project - very long term]

Pics
Ohmylord I love that flopped over comb.

would you have considered Orpingtons for the size aspect if given the option? My males are about 10 weeks old and seem to be rather promising.
if i had been able to obtain buff orps last year, i would absolutely be using them.

Out of the eggs I hatched over three weeks ago, their father was a blue mug game and the mothers were red game and red sex link. Most of them showed the willow green legs of the father and two of them had yellow legs(obviously from the RSL). One is mostly white and one is all black, and the rest are patterned shades of brown...

Out of the eggs I hatched over three weeks ago, their father was a blue mug game and the mothers were red game and red sex link. Most of them showed the willow green legs of the father and two of them had yellow legs(obviously from the RSL). One is mostly white and one is all black, and the rest are patterned shades of brown...
Are the yellow-legged ones male? According to what I've read about skin color genes, they should be.

I know its a terribly unscientific way to choose, but this bird !Nom Sixtus (P1-03) will (for the moment) likely be my second/back up Breeder, now that my hen/laying pullet count is getting high enough that my fertility rates for incubation are dropping.

Keeping him solely because of the pattern, which viewed from top back looks like a certain mythical creature. Accordingly, he's being christened, Age 20 weeks, "Phoenix Blue". Weight 72.16 oz (4.51 lb). Positives are the red tones, prominent comb, clean shanks. Underweight at target age, however - and no lacing or penceling.

1626273879438.png

His remaining male siblings from the Feb 23 hatching will be culled this week, unless I put one on the scale and find it to be massive, then weight may win. One of them is chasing the girls already, good indicator its female offspring will tend to lay early, and has picasso pattern of barring and something else. Stay tuned.

And below, center, is "Butterfinger/Left Twix" from the May 7 (P2-01) hatching, age 5 weeks, in whom I have many hopes.
1626274166322.png

Here is the other bird under consideration. Same hatching, so 20 weeks. One of the "Brahma mama" birds, so at least one copy of the pattern gene I want. 5.62# / 90 ounces.

He has a lighter weight male sibling with some leakage that cound indicate a gold gene, but no leaks in this bird. Silver all the way.

20210714_103344.jpg

20210714_103351.jpg

So, community, help me out here. Keep one? Keep Both? Dispatch both and set hopes on Butterfinger? Keep both and replace Phoenix Blue with Butterfinger in a couple months?

Get rid of Pretty Boy in favor of these two???

I'm open to, and in fact soliciting, genetics advice to move the project forward and hopefully show a little more progress by the start of the new year.

Would have been SO SO SO much easier if the second bird had been a pullet.

So, community, help me out here. Keep one? Keep Both? Dispatch both and set hopes on Butterfinger? Keep both and replace Phoenix Blue with Butterfinger in a couple months?

I'm open to, and in fact soliciting, genetics advice to move the project forward and hopefully show a little more progress by the start of the new year.

I love reading about these projects ... I sure wish I had something I could add to them.

I love reading about these projects ... I sure wish I had something I could add to them.

Actually, your vocal participation provides me an incentive to continue. Feedback keeps me motivated - don't sell your part in this short. Athletes play better with cheering fans.
:wee

I would keep pretty boy and Phoenix blue definitely since they have the pattern. Maybe reevaluate when Butterfinger is of age.

I Personally try to do color and lock that in before I go for weight when I'm breeding specific birds together for projects

I agree, keep Phoenix and butterfinger, use pretty boy and Phoenix for breeding until butterfinger grows more then reevaluate when he's more mature. That way you've still got potential chicks hatching, fertility rates are up, and the freezer is full

Back
Top Bottom