Making Lemonade [Selective Culling Project - very long term]

Pics
Yeah! That's what you were after, right?
Well, its a damn fine start. Gold base, Brahma markings. Probably some of the Brahma size, too (that's been pretty consistent in the Brahma offspring, i.e. "Big Barred"), who are actually larger than their Brahma parents.

After that, next steps are:

get rid of the leg feathers (they should only have one copy on either side), which I can do in a single generation if I am willing to hatch enough eggs and cull very aggressively.

develop a (more) prominent comb (again, good chance this can be done with relative ease) - though I intend to lose the foot feathering first

Then the long long step is to selectively cull for early onset of lay and size.

Eggshells aren't getting any lighter, but they are in the cream/tan range - which is light enough for at least some effective candling. I'm willing to accept that as "close enough", and will only cull out excessively dark egg layers.

Another 12 eggs are being gathered for incubation today - going out to check for some now. The ones laid overnight have already been cleaned, washed, sanitized, and placed into flats for sale. I prefer to gather eggs very fresh, clean, and transfer to the incubator before they've had time to cool.

The incubator itself is of course already cleaned and sanitized, ready to go.

Cute pic of last night/yesterday's hatchlings all bundled up side by side in the Brooder box overnight, next to the heat plate.

The chiipmunk looking yellow one has markings on the wings, too. AND feathered feet! A red Brahma Mama!

View attachment 2849103

Every yellow chipmunk chick I've ever hatched has been a boy, while tan/reddish brown ones have been girls. I wonder if that will be the same with these guys.

Eggshells aren't getting any lighter, but they are in the cream/tan range - which is light enough for at least some effective candling. I'm willing to accept that as "close enough", and will only cull out excessively dark egg layers.
I remember you mentioned back in the first post that you wanted pale eggshells, and I wondered about it but assumed it was just a personal preference.

Now that you mention ease of candling, it makes perfect sense to me. I've noticed most of the other features you want are for practical reasons, so I should have guessed you'd have a practical reason for wanting that eggshell color too :D

Back
Top Bottom