Making Lemonade [Selective Culling Project - very long term]

Pics
Thank you for saying so, most kind. The whole flock, however, shows how many mis-steps have resulted from trusting crossings to chance. Part of the point of this project - to show that *it can be done*, but that it won't happen quickly or predictably.
I need to solidify my goals for breeding… so reading through folks projects is helpful. I definitely want bigger eggs than are being laid and bigger birds in general… we ordered a few ”big” breeds that I don’t see in feed stores to explore. The ordered chicks will have drastically different growth rates and maturity rates of that I am certain. It will be interesting to compare them.

Please make a thread when you do, I'll be certain to follow. Myself, and several of those following this thread are active on numerous similar project threads, learning by doing ourselves, and from the efforts of others, doing the same....
I will, I am going to be working with a pool of different breeds some with vastly different maturity speeds… so I have been reviewing what I can find literature wise. Figuring out basic traits I should have in the pool from existing flock and ordered chicks (hit and miss with hatchery birds what you get). We maybe ordering hatching eggs and probably will bring a few home from the feed store.

First I got to get the chicks raised up… the cockerel we planned to use to breed with from last years chicks was killed by a raccoon along with half the Pullets and hens we had, most annoying. I still don’t know how the raccoon got in the coop! All we can figure is he unlatched the door, crawled in but when the door closed behind him it latched so he could not escape. He is a dead raccoon now.

So I have to see what sort of cockerels I end up with this year. In theory I might have a Saipan and or Egyptian Fayoumi if we get boys in the straight run chicks. Total opposites in size and maturity rates those two breeds. If I get hatching eggs maybe Swedish Black, or some other breed. Possibly something from the feed store… just need to give it thought.

My current flock… https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/back-at-the-chicken-shack.1457887/ if you want to see my luckless ladies… now that their boy friend is dead. I will probably start planing there… definitely doing something with the Naked Necks. I really like them.

Last edited:
And there's no good explanation of what all the arcane codes mean -- with photos to show the exact effect.
Man, if anyone knows of a book or website that has this, let us know! I would love to have real life, or at least better drawings, to show what the codes mean!

A list of "translations" of what the letters/symbols mean would be very helpful too.

I've read that one.

It's not very beginner-friendly since it starts out assuming that you know what the patterns referenced are supposed to look like. :)
Well yes it is confusing and it gets more confusing once you realize different breeds and groups of chicken fanciers use different terminology for the same colors, patterns or even gender and age… arghhh! Some folks are even a bit rude about terminology, but since I have dealt with rude my whole life no big deal to me.

I am researching what the genetics of my birds might sort of be and birds I plan to add, so I totally understand the issue. I managed to find the Crested Cream Legbar genetic code breakdown to give me insight into one side of my Olive Egger DNA, the other half is Welsummer. A sort of start on my Naked Necks.

For incoming chicks… I managed to locate the info on Wheaton for the Saipans. Pretty sure I have a sort of start on the Buckeyes too.

So muddling along…

Well yes it is confusing and it gets more confusing once you realize different breeds and groups of chicken fanciers use different terminology for the same colors, patterns or even gender and age… arghhh! Some folks are even a bit rude about terminology, but since I have dealt with rude my whole life no big deal to me.

I am researching what the genetics of my birds might sort of be and birds I plan to add, so I totally understand the issue. I managed to find the Crested Cream Legbar genetic code breakdown to give me insight into one side of my Olive Egger DNA, the other half is Welsummer. A sort of start on my Naked Necks.

For incoming chicks… I managed to locate the info on Wheaton for the Saipans. Pretty sure I have a sort of start on the Buckeyes too.

So muddling along…
I know i tend to call colors thi bff s that they aren't around my chicken friemds just to rry and make it easier for them to know what I'm saying. Like buff laced becomes white laced buff and gold laced becomes black laced gold now that blue laced golds are a thing

Back
Top Bottom