Making Lemonade [Selective Culling Project - very long term]

Pics
Yes, but I won't (for now) - that sort of defeats the purpose of the project, which was starting with a bunch of hatchery quality "stuff", and making something of them without focus on a breed, per se.

Eventually, I'll have to bring in new genetics, but it will be "a while".
Okay. Most of my birds are from hatcheries, except for the Malays, & a few barnyard mixes I have.

What's the largest hens, & roosters you currently have?

Okay. Most of my birds are from hatcheries, except for the Malays, & a few barnyard mixes I have.

What's the largest hens, & roosters you currently have?

Big Barred was 8.4# almost when I culled him, roughly a year of age. Ugly is at least 7.# and largest of the current birds (I need to weigh him, its been "a while"). Apart from two year old Brahma hens, I doubt any of my hens are over 5# - and some of the ones I had high hopes for based on pattern and color are certainly closer to 4# than 5.

I've work outside to do, then when it gets too hot, I'll start culling and weighing. Eating a gumbo we made (my wife made - days of cooking down carcasses, then one of the last of our freezer camp birds, I need to restock, which she made more soup-like than normal. For breakfast, she thickened and added richness by poaching an egg in it. Honestly, its sort of decadent.) Probably best gumbo I've ever had.

Big Barred was 8.4# almost when I culled him, roughly a year of age. Ugly is at least 7.# and largest of the current birds (I need to weigh him, its been "a while"). Apart from two year old Brahma hens, I doubt any of my hens are over 5# - and some of the ones I had high hopes for based on pattern and color are certainly closer to 4# than 5.

I've work outside to do, then when it gets too hot, I'll start culling and weighing. Eating a gumbo we made (my wife made - days of cooking down carcasses, then one of the last of our freezer camp birds, I need to restock, which she made more soup-like than normal. For breakfast, she thickened and added richness by poaching an egg in it. Honestly, its sort of decadent.) Probably best gumbo I've ever had.
Keep the largest, & only breed from the largest, 8.4lbs is a good weight rooster to keep back for breeding for size. But unfortunately he got culled.

The 7lbs rooster would have to be the second in selection.

5lbs hens are good start.

Just cull colors that you don't want if they throw any.

I've only had gumbo once, & that was when I was alittle kid.
Start by cooking down the carcasses of at least four birds, two heads of garlic, two or three carrots, 2 celery ribs, 1 or 1.5 large white onions, a palm of salt, and some fresh peppercorns. That needs to go on a simer for at least 24 hours. She did 72 by straining out the bones and adding new carcasses every day. We also had a smoked ham bone in their for a bit.

After that, "magic" happens, put that stock is so lip smacking good I could sit there with a loaf of white bread and just dunk and eat all day. With a homemade sourdough? Its amazing I've not gained weight!

I just love "peasant food".

Start by cooking down the carcasses of at least four birds, two heads of garlic, two or three carrots, 2 celery ribs, 1 or 1.5 large white onions, a palm of salt, and some fresh peppercorns. That needs to go on a simer for at least 24 hours. She did 72 by straining out the bones and adding new carcasses every day. We also had a smoked ham bone in their for a bit.

After that, "magic" happens, put that stock is so lip smacking good I could sit there with a loaf of white bread and just dunk and eat all day. With a homemade sourdough? Its amazing I've not gained weight!

I just love "peasant food".
I'm not an onion person.

😂 Did they get into some feed or jump the fence? Poor old biddies never saw it coming.

YES and YES. I have a patterned hen with the blue gene (which I don't want anyways) that has learned that if it jumps, flaps, and grabs the chicken wire, it can scale a 6' fence and join the littles in their grow-out run - where it terrifies them, then eats all the expensive 24% protein feed. It also tends to spill their waterers.

I'm culling it before it teaches others.

The rabbits are in the same space, sometimes it will hop into their runs, and eat their pellets, too.

Back
Top Bottom