Making Lemonade [Selective Culling Project - very long term]

Pics
YES and YES. I have a patterned hen with the blue gene (which I don't want anyways) that has learned that if it jumps, flaps, and grabs the chicken wire, it can scale a 6' fence and join the littles in their grow-out run - where it terrifies them, then eats all the expensive 24% protein feed. It also tends to spill their waterers.

I'm culling it before it teaches others.

The rabbits are in the same space, sometimes it will hop into their runs, and eat their pellets, too.

Good night! Don't you just love having a bird like that? It's just the best. I hope she makes a good stock or sausage for you.

Culled Two today. A 4.2# hen that keeps jumping into the grow out ben (scaling 6' of fence to do so) so it can eat all the feed for the baby birds and the rabbits. Body Condition 4+ - LOTS of fat internally. Pic to follow. No red in the bird, pattern wasn't crisp, I won't miss her.
20220517_163355.jpg
20220517_160626.jpg

Also culled that last mostly black male - a smaller, non-Brahma version of Ugly. 4.7# disappointment. Liver condition was perfect - glossy, dark, uniform color, firm. Fat was reasonable. Body Condition 3. Just not a big bird. Again, won't miss him.
20220517_163846.jpg

No photo butchered, while is getting the camera, one of my birds got the liver...

Have my eyes on a few others, going to keep removing greys and muddy white patterned birds. Probably take at least one red male as well, now that I'm hatching replacements.

Got Ugly on the scale - only 6.3# Very upsetting - he looks huge, its all feathers.
Got one of my favorites from last year's hatch on the scale too. The nicely patterned, too dark bird. 4.7# HEN! YES YES YES. The Brahma mama with the great red base and soft pattern from last year? A measly 4.2#. Sadness.

Will post pics from the other phone of the culled birds. Try and get better pics of the saved birds, and my sig has been adjusted to the new flock count.

Also, two of three bunnies stayed in their runs overnight! I hear a line from a Meatloaf song....

Last edited:
You carve the fat off? Not judging you but why? I love a good fatty chicken in the oven or crockpot.
No, that was all from the organ cavity, wrapped around heart, liver, gizzard, intestines, etc.
and I can't use chicken fat in sausage making, its hot hard at room temp like pig fat or beef fat, makes for an unappetizing texture - it renders out during the curing and smoking process, leaves the sausage "mealy".

Not judging you but why?

PLEASE, JUDGE!.

That's what this whole thread is about. We learn by doing together - what I did right, what I did wrong, what I didn't consider, but should have, what I worried about too much...

You won't hurt my feelings, I've hardly got any - and my sense of "self" isn't defined to any significant degree by the fact that I have some feathered meals running around my property.

I have made dumplings with the chicken fat rendered out from the hen who was going to be the star of the chicken and dumpling dinner.
I... had not considered that.
and if you had ever had my "dumplings", you would understand why. ;)

Still, its a good tip for thouse who don't overwork all their doughs!

I... had not considered that.
and if you had ever had my "dumplings", you would understand why. ;)

Still, its a good tip for thouse who don't overwork all their doughs!

My dumpling recipe is, essentially, a drop biscuit with a beaten egg replacing some of the milk and just enough extra flour to allow me to roll them out.

Because even though I live in the south I make dumplings the PA German way -- leavened.

Back
Top Bottom