Making Lemonade [Selective Culling Project - very long term]

Pics
SIX ducklings under the pair of birds who have been sitting the larger nest. There was a third born to the single duck on her nest under the raised hen house, it died during hatch, leaving it with just the two.

Both nests still have plenty of eggs, and ducks patiently sitting them.

Signature updated to so reflect.

1653486914565.png

SIX ducklings under the pair of birds who have been sitting the larger nest. There was a third born to the single duck on her nest under the raised hen house, it died during hatch, leaving it with just the two.

Both nests still have plenty of eggs, and ducks patiently sitting them.

Signature updated to so reflect.

View attachment 3122959
Do you still only raise pekins? That baby duckling has some interesting coloring.

Do you still only raise pekins? That baby duckling has some interesting coloring.

Just Pekins - only breed I've ever purchased, all my ducks are either original buys of April 2020, or their progeny. Bought with the intent of using them for meat, but their rate of growth has been most disappointing. Glorious eggs, if infrequent, when they finally get around to laying. Also, the yolks have been a bit brittle this year, but the chicken eggs have not. Need more threonine I think - the chickens have been eating the blue flax in my pasture, the ducks have not...

Just Pekins - only breed I've ever purchased, all my ducks are either original buys of April 2020, or their progeny. Bought with the intent of using them for meat, but their rate of growth has been most disappointing. Glorious eggs, if infrequent, when they finally get around to laying. Also, the yolks have been a bit brittle this year, but the chicken eggs have not. Need more threonine I think - the chickens have been eating the blue flax in my pasture, the ducks have not...
None of my pekins have gone broody so I've just stuck with the incubator and I agree, hatch rates are not great. I'm going to switch to Muscovy.

Breief Update - of all the ducklings that my three broody ducks hatched, I've lost more than half already. Most appear to have been crushed overnight. The Pekin hens simply aren't good mothers. I've snatched up the last three and moved them to the brooder box with good feed and clean water. We'll see what happens.

Of course, by this weekend, I should have another hatching of chickens from the incubator - things going to get real crowded. Had I been thinking, I'd have grabbed another box to use as a second brooder while I was in town...

Back
Top Bottom