Making Lemonade [Selective Culling Project - very long term]

I thought the green background would provide more contrast, but it looks like it made the mottling harder to see as well. Blame the photographer.

Waiting to cull the next two, busy baking a loaf for muffaletas tonight. Then an Italian Meat and Olive loaf. My wife is busy with her game on the weekend, so I pick up cooking duties. Usually, that means I make a pizza and lasagna, or ropa vieja, or ham with black beans and yellow rice, or some other crock pot meal - figured I'd mix it up a bit this week.

Ugly went to camp. 6.17# live weight, only 4.18# processed. Its the feathers...

20220604_154133.jpg
20220604_161020.jpg
20220604_161454.jpg

Obviously a much more mature bird - just not heavy enough or fast enough growing to advance that portion of the project. With him gone, my remaining Roos should be consistently passing along gold genes at least.

Anyhow, thise are the bits, you know what to look for...

I'm just quietly following along and learning. I must say I like your dressed birds, so very clean not from the hands of a gorilla! lol
Kind of you to say. I really do disrobe with bare hands, almost no knife work. Eventually, I'm told, I will get faster at this. Hasn't happened yet.

The Roosters I'm keeping all look like this
16543788385293256273303328371575.jpg

This guy was 6.09#. Another just like him was 6.17#. Another 5.7x# (I forgot already, old age sucks), and the biggest was 6.34#. I have seven birds all substantially like this - a few with less pronounced marks on the chest, a pair which are mahagony rather than red. Given my total number of hens, I can (and will) cull further. But not today.

Last edited:
Kind of you to say. I really do disrobe with bare hands, almost no knife work. Eventually, I'm told, I will get faster at this. Hasn't happened yet.
You will get faster with time. I have cleaned lots of fish, blue crab but never cleaned fuzzy or feathered critters. Filet is an art!
I have cooked a lot of wild game but I did not dress them out.
I love to hatch chicks but I can only rehome so many cockerels. I have eaten other's home raised birds so that's not a problem at all.
I'll get there. I told my DH I needed a grow out spot for the boys.

Back
Top Bottom