Making Lemonade [Selective Culling Project - very long term]

IMG_1118.jpeg

Hatched this little guy(?) out at Easter and thought thought of you, @U_Stormcrow. Seems like it would fit with your project. Also the biggest and friendliest of its hatch mates.

View attachment 3485768
Hatched this little guy(?) out at Easter and thought thought of you, @U_Stormcrow. Seems like it would fit with your project. Also the biggest and friendliest of its hatch mates.
Oh yes, I'd happily put a bird like that into the mix - MUCH better than some of the others I'm working with.

and on the hatching front, 4 days left on the incubator. Had one become a bacteria bomb - of course that ended the one on either side. Its my damn clay soils - the shell was stained. MAY have lost the eggs to either side of that as well. There;s lots of development, but not what I would expect at this point, thinking maybe day 12-14 - they have that not quite solid look to them which the pronounced air sack and lots of dark spaces.

Don't know if I'm better off removing the bloom with an anti-bacteria wipe or simply waiting for "perfect" eggs.

Oh yes, I'd happily put a bird like that into the mix - MUCH better than some of the others I'm working with.

and on the hatching front, 4 days left on the incubator. Had one become a bacteria bomb - of course that ended the one on either side. Its my damn clay soils - the shell was stained. MAY have lost the eggs to either side of that as well. There;s lots of development, but not what I would expect at this point, thinking maybe day 12-14 - they have that not quite solid look to them which the pronounced air sack and lots of dark spaces.

Don't know if I'm better off removing the bloom with an anti-bacteria wipe or simply waiting for "perfect" eggs.
Hatchery's sanitized eggs

I wish they had suggested some suitable substitutes for formaldehyde.

Manna Pro Egg Cleaner has water, yeast, citric acid and potassium sorbate. Potassium sorbate is a food preservative to prevent bacteria and fungi and is considered safe for people. The Manna Pro stuff is probably intended for cleaning eggs before sale, not before hatching. I guess it would need to be warmed up before using so it is not sucked into the egg.

In the old days they used chlorine to disinfect eggs before selling.
I think brinsa sells a hatching disinfect

Back
Top Bottom