Making own autosexing breeds??

Silkie Amateur

Chirping
Jun 18, 2020
Hello, I was wondering if it was possible to make your own autosexing breed like the cream legbar. Can I use the cream legbar and breed it to other breeds that have a trait I want to use to make my own autosexing breed to get cool traits like cool egg color but the chicks will be Autosexed. TIA

Yes you can. What traits you want or don't want really doesn't matter as long as you stay true to the pattern of the cream legbars.

Yes you can. What traits you want or don't want really doesn't matter as long as you stay true to the pattern of the cream legbars.
How do you stay true to the breed? For instance if I breed a black copper maran to a legbar, the chicks will auto sex and I can keep the chicks I want and breed to another breed that I want a trait from it do I have to breed to a leghorn again?

I
It depends! What traits are you wanting in your new chicken 'breed'? and what do you NOT want?
It depends! What traits are you wanting in your new chicken 'breed'? and what do you NOT want?
I would like the breed to be autosexing and have a green-blue egg color that has speckles on it. I was thinking like a black copper maran and an Easter egged or olive egged with the leghorn. I just need more information on how to do this and if it’s possible. Thank you!

3BE734DC-2E18-4B0A-A0E6-4790E7AFE672.jpeg

Here’s a “recipe” for doing this... the breeds are not important, but you need a ‘wild type’ patterned and a barred patterned bird as described

Edit to add:
So to try to get your speckled green-blue autosexing you could try by using a welsummer instead of a brown leghorn and cream legbar instead of a barred rock, I suppose

https://scratchcradle.wordpress.com/2012/08/26/gms9-autosexing-recipe/

Last edited:
View attachment 2505267

Here’s a “recipe” for doing this... the breeds are not important, but you need a ‘wild type’ patterned and a barred patterned bird as described

Edit to add:
So to try to get your speckled green-blue autosexing you could try by using a welsummer instead of a brown leghorn and cream legbar instead of a barred rock, I suppose

https://scratchcradle.wordpress.com/2012/08/26/gms9-autosexing-recipe/
Thank you for the info! Just out of curiosity, can you basically breed any breed of chicken to the legbar and the chicks will be autosexed?

Thank you for the info! Just out of curiosity, can you basically breed any breed of chicken to the legbar and the chicks will be autosexed?

The breed is not important, the genetic pattern is... so for instance you could use a brown leghorn, but you could not use a white leghorn.

If I’m not mistaken the link I provided states that it is the chipmunk down patten of the chick that is the key... but it’s been a long time since I’ve read up on this, and to be clear, I have not created a line of autosexing chickens, so it’s all theory to me... so hopefully someone will correct me if I’ve misstated something

Back
Top Bottom