Making pickled Button eggs

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Terri O, Nov 14, 2010.

1. Terri O

Terri O Chillin' With My Peeps

I think this might be a really cool gift for my friend that loves Martinis...I read on another thread that you can put them on a pick to garnish the drink! What a great, and unusual, Christmas present! So, I have a recipe for pickled eggs that I like but for how long do I boil the little eggs? I am hoping that the "crazy, easy way to boil eggs" work for these too. Anybody have any advice? TIA--Terri O

OOPS--pickled NOT deviled!

Last edited: Nov 14, 2010
  2. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    I don't know what the crazy easy way is, but it's pretty easy to boil them. Bring the water to a full boil and turn it off. Put the eggs in the pan and cover (with the heat off). It's either 3 or 5 minutes of having the eggs in boiling-hot (not boiling) water and they are all done [​IMG]

3. justbugged

justbugged Head of the Night Crew for WA State

Jan 27, 2009
    Enumclaw
    I haven't used quail eggs for deviled eggs, but I would thing that it is very similar to any kind of egg. I would think that the boiling time would not be as long because the eggs are so small. My suggestion would be to do a practice boil on one or two eggs before hand so that you know how long to boil them.

4. Terri O

Terri O Chillin' With My Peeps

Great--thanks! I will try it. The crazy easy thread has you boil perfectly fresh eggs for 14 minutes and then run them under cold water. THe shells practically slip off!

5. justbugged

justbugged Head of the Night Crew for WA State

Jan 27, 2009
    Enumclaw
    Quote:I use that method and love the results. I would still think that quail size eggs you may only need about 7 to 10 minutes to get them same results.

6. Buttercup Chillin

Buttercup Chillin Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2008
    SouthEast TX
    I do the bring water to a boil, put the eggs in 4 minutes on my Coturnix eggs. Drain, cover in ice add water. Start peeling. Peel pretty easy. I do 100 at a time. TO pickle, so DH can have them with his cottage cheese.

7. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    If you boil button eggs they will pop. Put them in boiling-hot (not boiling) water [​IMG]

8. Rozzie

Rozzie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010
    Quote:Mine haven't popped yet BUT I haven't done very many, either.

I boiled them to feed to my sick girl (all better now).

9. Sushi

Sushi Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2010
    Michigan

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by