Making sure they think I'm their momma!

maggiemooscluckers

Songster
9 Years
Jul 21, 2010
Apache Junction, Arizona
My little hens are only three weeks old but seem to be growing so fast. I want them to be very friendly and think of me as the one that matters most. Every day I make it a point to go out to the coop and just sit on their level and hold them, pet them and talk to them. Tonight at one point about 6 of the 9 were sitting either on my lap or on my shoulder pecking at my hair. My little BO seems to be the most friendly at this point. She jumps onto my lap and weasels her way between my arm and my hip and just sits there as if to say to the others, My Mom! Ha Ha! I don't want them to not be chickens but I don't want them to run in fear whenever someone enters their coop either. Do you think there is such a thing as a chicken being too friendly for their own good?

I don't think so. Our first four are our tamest because the children carried them around everywhere. Actually, I think it helps them a good deal. They don't stress if you need to handle them for some reason. Our dog attacked one of our tame hens and she went under the hen house. After the dog was put up, I called to her and she came out right away for me to look her over. When the others get frightened, they're only more frightened by my presence.

And they know the difference between you and strangers. Mine tell our dogs apart. They ignore Hunter, who never does anything but sometimes chase them off scraps. They eye Copper warily, who will occasionally chase them but never bites at them. They disappear at any sign of Pepper, our chicken killer.

They're not dumb animals, and I think taming them helps improve their lives as well as our own.
smile.png

Thanks for the taming support. It just doesn't make a lot of sense to have pets you can't pet and touch. My sister has chickens but her only purpose in having them is to gather eggs. I grew up in a family that was supported by what now makes me disqusted when I think about it. We owned and opperated an egg production farm. 13,000 hens, 4 to a cage under constant lights for production. Because of that inviornment, I will probably be quilty of spoiling my hens but so be it. I guess I want to make up for some of the past when it comes to chickens.

maggiemoocluckers-
frow.gif

I don't think that you can spoil any animal by spending time with it. Spoiling comes from allowing improper behavior with no discipline.

I know what you mean about thinking how livestock was and still is raised. However, don't beat yourself up about it. My grandfather had a large hog operation and he wasn't cruel to his livestock, he just didn't know any better.

I think that we are all waking up. I made the relatively expensive decision a couple of years ago to buy my eggs, pork, beef and chicken from local farmers who raised their livestock in a humane way. You are doing the right thing with your chickens. The journey of a 1000 miles begins with a single step.

BTW- I am getting my first chicken babies today. I can't wait.
yippiechickie.gif

big_smile.png
i love my tame chickens i dont think id be in to chickens so much if it wasnt for my frist 2 chickens they were so tame they would rather roost on my sholder then their own roosts
lol.png
I think it is much better to have at least one tame chicken in each flock and the more the better, not only is it nice for you to have a friend it the chicken yard, but iv found that if i have some tame chickens in my flock they calm the other chickens around them
smile.png

Our chicks are almost three weeks old and we get them out whenever we are watching TV in the evening and they sit in our laps and fall asleep. One RIR is super tame and just wants to be with us humans, our Delaware and Wyandotte are very happy to come out. Our other RIR is a little shy, but she's getting there slowly. We love them!

I could just sit and hold my chicks for hours. I like to let them snuggle on my neck so they can feel my pulse. They seem to like it as much as I do.

As long as you have only kind people around your chickens, I don't think there is such a thing as being too tame. I sometimes think mine are too tame around canines; they have been raised with my rough coat collie (like Lassie, but black, white and tan) and actually snuggle in her fur. The ones at the bay heard the weekend neighbors (at least 100 yrds. from the coop) and went to visit. The neighbors had their dogs with them and were amazed that the chickens weren't afraid. That probably isn't good, for the chickens of course. We have lost a few chickens to coyotes out there and I imagine it wasn't difficult for the coyotes to grab them. So I guess what I'm trying to say is; if you live where there is less of a chance of anything being mean to or eating your chickens, then there is no such thing as too tame. If they are around mean people or animals, it could be a problem...

Back
Top Bottom