Making Sure Your Rooster Knows You Are Top Dog

I agree with Donrae. My mature rooster was the largest from a brood raised by one of my hens about three years ago. The hens come close to me for treats, but I do not pick them up to cuddle or pet. I move slowly through the group so they don't feel threatened. These chickens (we live in Mexico) all have some percentage of fighting chicken blood, so they are good free rangers and mamas. I have never done any of those steps you listed, but treat my rooster with respect. He doesn't see me as a competitor or aggressor, but rather as a provider for the hens. Maybe he's a special case, but he has never behaved aggressively to me, my dogs, or any other humans, including kids.

How exactly does one "put him in the pot"? Thanks to all the helpful responses here, I've accepted the fact that my roo is unable to be rehabilitated.  I won't have a problem chopping off his head because I took on the role of chicken herder with the intent that they would someday become pot pie, dumplings, and salad, so I did not get emotionally attached.  This is why I have been springing for the non-GMO organic feed - to put healthy meat on the table for my family. But my main question is where to do it? **graphic question-alert** If I do it outside, won't the blood draw other animals (coons and coyotes?).  Should I put a bucket underneath? I have a milk jug with the bottom cutoff and the top opening widened so I can stick his head through.  I'll nail it to a tree first.  How long does it take for them to bleed out? then what do I do with the bucket contents? I think I'm good from this point as far as de-feathering and eviscerating - sorry for the graphics . . . not very good at euphemisms I guess

From all the chickens we acquired this year we kept four roosters. The Oliver Egger, Blue Maran and a silkie are now six months old, and the red bantam given to us may be a few weeks older. The dominant roo is our Olive Egger. From the 24 Columbian Rocks we got, 15 turned out to be roosters. All of our chicks were handled daily their first few weeks but the Columbian roosters still became aggressive and I got bruised and bit many times by them. I was quite happy when they were put into the freezer this fall. The 9 Columbian hens were somewhat aggressive as well, but have calmed right down after the 15 roo were taken out. Our Blue Maran and red bantam roosters keep just enough distance so I can't catch them in the pen. In the coop I am able to pick them up and other than being a little startled when I do, they don't show any aggression and calm right down. The Olive Egger and Silkie roosters are very tame and enjoy being petted and handled. Right now roosters and hens get along great, we can walk in the pen or coop anytime, sometimes with the dog, without a problem. But after reading everything it worries me that my roosters may change from docile to aggressive when they mature more. Since our experience with the Columbian roosters wasn't so good I will probably order a different breed, and hens only, for next year.

I wish I could respond more about ole roaster Cogburn but he was killed by a hawk while still in his cage.How that hawk got in there I don't know.Half the size of Cogburn but still killed him.Cogburn was a fighter and is missed. My four hens were traumatized for days after.The hawk was stuck in the cage but eventually escaped.Guess it comes with living in the woods

Thanks.He was evil at first waiting behind a tree or my truck to unleash his attack after my arrival home. After hand feeding him he eventually chilled a bit....The hawk was more interested in escape after the kill.I came home to find the hawk still trapped in the cage.There were many feathers in the cage.Most Cogburns but some from the hawk.That hawk was worn out laying on the ground with it's wings spread out.As I walked away not sure what to do next,the hawk was able to escape and fly to a branch above the cage.The hens still come out but do not venture far from me.I always thought if there were to be a attack on my flock,it would be a coyote,fox or raccoon.Not a gymnastic hawk.

It would seem the problem is probably not as bad as you would think reading these forums. Those with problem roosters post about them and people who have had problems with roosters reply so it would seem that it is a widespread problem.

I have not had any problems with my roosters. In fact, they generally seem to be quite gentle when it comes to humans. Although they are still fairly young.

That said, I have one rooster that likes to really go at some of the other roosters. I went after him and he seems to have settled down. These ones are in a separate bachelor pad.

I never stop my roosters from natural behavior. Such as mating etc.. That just doesn't sound right. But to each his own I guess. If I get a aggressive rooster towards people. This might sound harsh but he goes to the dinner table. You don't want aggression in your bloodline. Never done any of those things and my roosters are friendly as can be.

Our experience with a Rooster is not to hold or touch them so they protect the hens from anything that comes around. That never happened, Rooster had never chased off any Ravens or Crows but he has alerted the girls to take cover through out the years. When we got our Rooster years ago the owner of him told us not to do touching or hold him keep him wild. I went in the coop at a very slow pace since I've never been around any chickens when we starting, he moved out of the way for me but, it was the opposite for my hubby. He went in there to get eggs and Rooster came after him, so he did this several times and then hubby gave him the same medicine that Rooster gave my hubby, he chased him all around the coop and the run area and then left. The next day Rooster moved out of the way and didn't chase my hubby anymore. He has been held only three times to move him to a new coop and the same run area, two times he got out of the run by flying over and spend the night probably under my car since I seen him walking toward the coop the next morning so we had to guide him into the coop, another few times flew over again and hubby caught him and picked him up and put him back in the run area. He's not with us any longer, he passed just short of his 4 year!

Rooster like to do his little dance in a circle around his favorite hens, first time seeing him do this a few years ago. He had his favorites, we used to talk to him and he would do his sounds back to us, it was so cute for him to do this. We never stop him from matting either.

Back
Top Bottom