Making 'that decision' about a horse

What about finding another ranch position? It sounds like you could look in a very wide area, even other states, almost anywhere. You don't have a house to sell, all you need to do is pack up and go, someone can haul the horse (don't know if you have a trailer/truck). And I'm still seeing ads in magazines and on websites for such things.

As weird as it may seem in this economy, there are STILL people who want ranch hands. And the fact is, you could work at a nice boarding stable too, lots of places prefer a husband and wife team. Some of those fancy places are a little ah...'recession proof' too. And they usually allow you to board, some for free.

That's so hard. I just euthanized my 19 year old TB gelding in October. He had been a freebie from a big stable because he had arthritis from racing and jumping. He still wanted to work. I had to take him out of the arena when someone was jumping because he would get so excited! Unfortunately, what he thougt was an arthritis flare turned out to be DSLD. He declined rapidly. We thought of retiring him, but he would have needed bar shoes and pain meds to live somewhat comfortably. I think you're correct in identifying that as the big problem you'll face with him. There are places for retired horses, but those horses need to be virtually maintenance free. The morning of my boy's euthenasia, my trainer grimly reported that there had been a scuffle in the field the evening before. One of the young horses that was friends with my boy ran off the attacking horse, but my boy had gotten jostled and couldn't move fast enough to get away. The trainer had to intervene. I knew I had made the correct decision in my boy's case after hearing that.

It is just hard to know. I'm of the opinion that if their existence robs them of their nature, it is time. But I know everyone has a different comfort level/mental equation.

I'm so sorry for your troubles. I wish the answer was easy, but you already know that it isn't.
In my 40-some-odd years I have never seen a worse time to be rehoming an old horse. There are young, trained, multi-discipline, talented horses out there right now that you can pick up for a song. My friend just got a warmblood with multiple eventing titles under his saddle, and all she had to do to buy him was to pay off the previous owner's $2,000 boarding bill. The woman she bought him from paid $20,000 for him less than 5 years ago, and he was worth every penny of that cost (and still is!). It's a crazy market out there and it doesn't look to be improving any time soon.
I'm sure you have tried and tried to place him to no avail. I think that you are being noble and caring to consider letting him end his life in a safe and familiar environment. It is much better than the owner who ships Ol' Bones off to auction and then tries to console themselves by thinking that some nice family picked him up and is loving him. We all know that isn't reality. The reality is that good, honest horses are packed onto double deckers and shipped for days to the feed lot and then to the slaughterhouse.
Here are a couple of afterthoughts: You didn't like the idea of letting a kid have him, but what about a nice teenage girl? Maybe your local 4-H could hook you up with a sweet teenager who would be more than happy to spoil your old boy rotten for his last few years.
My other thought: do you ever look on fugly horse of the day? It's fuglyblog.com. I don't know you, so I should warn you that she is very opinionated and does swear, but she has a very large following and someone in that community of folks may be able to help.

I forgot to mention this in my previous post, but my gelding's quality of life at my trainer's barn was a big factor in my decision to let him go. He had come from a 70+ horse barn to my place where he was one of only two. He did fine at my place, but he totally blossomed at the training barn. At 10-15 horses, it was a nice size, and I think that being with the horses working made him feel like he was useful, even as his DSLD degenerated to where he was unridable. He was just so dang happy there, and I wanted him to go out with that as his last memory.

I haven't made a decision yet. The overwhelming feeling from my family is that we should put him down rather than rehome him, so that he can be guaranteed a peaceful end. The general concerns are that we could give him to the nicest person in the world and they could fall on hard times also, or that he might colic from the stress of the move and leaving 'his' mare.

We're still working on finding somewhere to go. I'm trying not to lose my mind with worry but it is hard. I have goats kidding in three weeks time. Our best possibility right now is a ranch about 90 minutes away. We'd both be happy to go there. That will raise another problem though. Currently we're at about 4100ft, that camp ranges between 8000 and 10,000ft. Obviously it is significantly colder than here, and the old guy is wind broke, not that it has ever caused him any significant problems as long as we've had him other than louder breathing when climbing hills.

I understand this is a terribly hard decision. If I was in your shoes, I would want my horse to pass peacefully with no stress, no worries, and lots of love. Once he leaves your hands, you have no idea what will happen to him. I really hope you find the answer that works for you! I can't imagine how hard this must be.

Boy, this is a hard spot to be in...
sad.png
I think it's noble that you're putting his welfare and happiness first, and not just taking an easy way out.

I wouldn't give up and put him down quite yet. Look around, put up ads in different places, talk to people. It could be that someone will be able to offer him a good home for the rest of his days, or that a reputable retirement place or sanctuary can take him and let him live out his life. It is possible, even if it is being a bit optimistic. Of course, you'll want to thoroughly check out any potential places he could go, and make them sign a contract that the people will contact you or peacefully put him to sleep if something were to happen that made it so they couldn't keep him. See if he can go with you wherever you end up working next. I don't know about where you are, but I see quite a few live-on-the-property ranchhand jobs available here.

If all else fails, I think you know the right thing to do. It would be incredibly difficult, but it would ensure a peaceful end. It just makes me so sad. My heart breaks for you, being in your position. Even a horse who is somewhat lame can still live for quite a while longer, though. My family and I kept a horse until he colicked at age thirty-one, and I know that his last years were filled with happiness.

I offer you hugs regardless of what happens.
hugs.gif
Hoping the best for you and your horse. Keep us updated on what happens. I'll keep you both in my thoughts.

Back
Top Bottom