Making the most of it.

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by lindalouly, Aug 4, 2015.

1. kwhites634

kwhites634 Slow hands & an easy touch

My only reason for getting chickens in the beginning was for the eggs. If my financial circumstances required it, I could do what had to be done. As I said, I have done it. We had a couple roosters once that the kids drug home from the carnival, and both turned nasty. Because of that, I didn't like them, and the kids were afraid to go outside, so processing them was no problem; good riddance. My hens are different. They're not pets, in the sense that they ride around on my shoulder or perch on my head, and I don't usually try to pick them up (the new rooster being a whole 'nuther situation entirely, since he came here very tame), but they're starting to take corn from my hand, 'cause they've seen the rooster do it, and I truly enjoy watching them & having them around. Besides that, the only hens to die here have been victims of predators or found dead in the coop, and I wouldn't eat either.

I even raised rabbits for a while. When it came time to butcher, I couldn't catch them, so I popped them in the head with the .22. After the 3rd one, they were all in full panic mode, and I just didn't have the heart to continue...turned the rest of them loose. I guess I'm too much of a softie sometimes.

2. Chaos18

Chaos18 Minion King Premium Member

Mar 24, 2015
    Slowly Losing it......
    It's not dictated by financial circumstances. It will be dictated by a want for healthy, hormone free, grade A meat that you can't buy in any store. My expressed reason for getting chickens has always been as dual purpose birds which is why I only get dual purpose birds. But that's not to say I'm not a softie with some animals, chickens just currently aren't one of those animals.

3. lindalouly

lindalouly Grd Ctrl 2 Major Tom

Well I went to TSC and what they call silkies were actually Cochin so I ended up getting nothing.. Guess I'll just wait till April to get the 6 breeds I need from the mom and pop store... Bummer. I'm worn out now.

4. kwhites634

All the more time to build your coolerbator

5. lindalouly

Very true!! Plus I still have those quail eggs in the bator.. So I have things to keep me busy.

6. kwhites634

Can you actually candle quail eggs? With a little penlight, maybe? [​IMG]

7. lindalouly

Lol!! I was just thinking that actually. I should make a candling box.

8. kwhites634

Heck, if I'd known you were going to set quail eggs I'd have sent half the quail rails I sent to Loco to you, unless you already have some.

9. lindalouly

I don't even know what those are!! I'm hatching them for my sister and a local farmer. I'm not keeping any.

10. kwhites634

They fit into an automatic turner. The egg cups are sized for quail eggs, which flop around in the chicken cups.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by