Making the Ratproof Feeder portable?

RojoMarz

Crowing
May 21, 2020
Southern CO...at 8600 ft
I recently got the Rat Proof feeder and have just now put it in the chicken run. Due to bears, I have to remove the feeder each night. Today was my first time putting away the Ratproof feeder. To keep the weight down, I will not fill it full of feed; but it's still kinda awkward to carry. Anyone have suggestions on adding handles (maybe on each side?) or do I just have to "man handle" it. We did use a French cleat to mount it to it's base, so removal is quick and easy.

@Al Gerhart any suggestions?

Rather than taking up the feeder each night, since this is a bear problem, an easier solution would be an electric fence to keep them at arm's length. If you have a bear problem, you would want that up anyway.

Rather than taking up the feeder each night, since this is a bear problem, an easier solution would be an electric fence to keep them at arm's length. If you have a bear problem, you would want that up anyway.

Agree about the electric fence, but leaving food in the run will only bring the bears closer to our house, garage and workshop (non of which have electric fence around them).

Thanks for the business! You might try installing two cabinet door pulls, one on each side. Use some washers, one small to fit the 8-32 pull bolt, one large under the small washer to spread the load. Might do the same on both sides, use big 1.25" x 1/4" fender washers just like you used to assemble the treadle.

But I agree with the other posters, an electric fence is a better idea. With the feed put up each night that makes the chickens more likely to be the target of the bear.

I read here if you mix the feed with hot chilli powder mamals will stop eating it but hens don't taste it, if you keep some out for the bear it might discourage it

Back
Top Bottom