Making Whole Dried Corn Edible

SueBaby

Songster
8 Years
Feb 14, 2011
Oceanside, CA
Some friends gave us corn that they grew that wasn't "good", as far as human tastes go. My guess is that they let it go too long and it was overly starchy. It's all dried, on the cob, although it's easy to pick off. Anyway, I thought it would be a great treat for my chickens, but they pecked at it a few times and then left it alone. I'm assuming it's too large for them to eat? What's my best bet for making this corn edible for them? Throw it in the blender? My husband is afraid we'll ruin the blade. Soak it in hot water? I don't know anything about this, but that seems like it would make the corn big and soft?

Appreciative of your thoughts
smile.png

Put the corn in pot filled with water, make sure the water covers it with a little extra. Bring to boil and let it boil for 2-3 minutes. Turn off the heat, wrap an old towel or blanket around the pot to keep the heat in and leave it like that until it's cooled down. The corn will be soft enough to put through a blender. I use a meat grinder to grind it fine and my chickens love it.

Back
Top Bottom