Making your own breed!

I don't know much about genetics, I was never interested in trying to create a new breed. for my purposes, there are plenty of good breeds out there for me to choose from.
I do know that it takes a looooong time to make a "breed".. I have had chickens for over 50 years and I have seen many people try to make a breed.. and they all failed..
I knew a lady who messed around with the Phoenix. she cross bred all kinds of breeds.
once in a while she would announce that she has a new breed. she always got mad at me because I pointed out to her that all she really had was a mutt..
you don't get a "breed" with just one or two crosses..

......jiminwisc.....

Last edited by a moderator:
I have created my own breed and am unaware of any other bird as such. Hoping this post can act as a time stamp and verification (of sorts) that my birds are as unique as I suspect. The cross is x3...... Chinese Silkie, Lohmann white, Sussex white. The Lohmann being a primarily egg layer with no brooding, I am attempting to reintroduce brooding into this line as well as achieve some dandy egg laying numbers. I will also be taking a Rooster of the x3 variety and crossing it once again with a Lohmann Hen to increase size and see how the egg production numbers vary. Cheers to all that bring new blood into the Chicken lines. Will add a picture or 2 in about 10 weeks.

Back
Top Bottom