Making your own feed

I get kinda skeptical about making feeds. I am not good at math so I am always afraid that I would get something wrong... so I leave it up to the professionals
There are times when the least cost formulations used for commercial production flocks are not the best for longer lived flocks maintained under more varied conditions for a broader range of purposes. The chickens themselves you can see have a preference for coarser food particles than what most commercial sourced feeds are made of.

I am good at math and spreadsheets make it easier. I think this is well rounded, Alfalfa is like high value browse, fish simulating bugs and all the grains of 4 kinds. I spent the day reviewing feed people make. Some add calcium and nutri-balancer but I can drop ostershell if they need it.

I was thinking whole grains are better for them just like everything else. Also will be trying to free range when i can or tractor house.

Does anyone use an online source for the nutrient break down of each feed stuff? Like how much fat, protein, and carbs in cracked corn, or calcium levels in co rn or oats..? That sort of thing. To help with making rations.

Here is an update of what I did with Protein, fat, fiber and calcium. The fish meal pellets really add protein, fat and calcium better than most. A lot of it can be found here. Use the links on the right for different feed.

[EDIT] Excel formulas were wrong, deleted picture.

Last edited:
If any of you want to work on this and review I am willing to share my spread sheet through e-mail or Google Docs. I would be interested in getting feed back and input from others that might have more experience with chicken feed. It does not let me attach an .ODS file here you all could import into Excel.

My math was off on the percentage calculation. I had to set them all to 50 pounds per bag and use a normal average to verify the calculation. Then when adjusted for partial bags it still works out.

Chicken Feed Idea_1.JPG

No one has a suggestion or comment? I am assuming this is probably as well rounded as any commercial mix and vitamin coming from natural sources and not artificially added.

I was considering the 21% layer as a standard and feeding it to the standard heritage birds I might raise next year as meat birds.

No one has a suggestion or comment? I am assuming this is probably as well rounded as any commercial mix and vitamin coming from natural sources and not artificially added.

I was considering the 21% layer as a standard and feeding it to the standard heritage birds I might raise next year as meat birds.

I question your nutrient values. Here are what I use:

Corn 7.25 protein, 2.5 fiber, 2.75 fat
Wheat 12.25 protein, 1.75 fiber, 3.25 fat
Oats 12.25 protein, 9.25 fiber, 4.7 fat

I was just thinking about this. In fact, I've been consumed by this idea for the last 3 days. As it goes with my life I won't stop until I get the answers and succeed.

I won't share my own constructed recipe for secrecy reasons. However, I will say that it contains absolutely no corn, soy or oats in any way shape or form and has a high protein and fiber content. Also should be really good for growing quality plumage.

Tip: A pellet feed maker is a wonderful invention if you can afford it.

It looks good to me, @archeryrob . Do double check those values though, I know corn is under 10% here.

I'd feed the 21% layer to the layers and the 22% meatbird to the chicks. If you want to do a 26% meatbird, the chicks can have that the first 8 weeks and it will help maximize their growth potential. It's safe, I just raised a batch on 28% turkey starter. After 8 weeks you'd gradually step them down to 18 or 20%, depending on your preference.

Only other thing I would suggest is try to run those values through something that will give you vitamin and mineral amounts and supplement where necessary there. If they're close to good, you could probably simply add something like Poultry Nutri-Drench or one of the Rooster Booster products to their water.

Back
Top Bottom