Male duck chasing away one female from the rest of the flock

SammyRouen

In the Brooder
5 Years
Mar 12, 2014
Hello
I have 8 ducks, 1 male and 7 females
Recently my drake has been chasing away a particular duck from the rest of the flock. He doesn't chase her like he wants to mate. He puts his head down, opens his mouth and chases her just far enough that she is away from the rest of the flock. I have removed him multiple times from the flock and without him in the picture the duck he doesn't like joins the rest of the females and they all get along great but once I put him back in with the girls that duck is targeted by him again. He chases her away from food and water and I feel so bad for her. The longest he has been separated has been a month and he has always remained in the area with the girls just separated so he can't mingle with them. Has anyone ever had this problem before and have a way to fix it? Should I separate him somewhere he can't see his girls? Does anyone have any ideas why he wouldn't like one particular duck?
Any help would be great. Thanks!
P.s. he's a Welsh Harlequin and the female is a production type Rouen.

I have had this happened Several times.Finally got on the internet and was told it was a Hormonal type thing.So either seperate her or him.

I have had this happened Several times.Finally got on the internet and was told it was a Hormonal type thing.So either seperate her or him.

I have already separated him three times I don't want to have him housed separate forever at that point it won't even be worth keeping him around since I only have him around for fertile eggs.

Then spereate your hen,i'm sorry I just dont think there is Anything else you can do.Maybe somebody else has an idea.

Is she the only bird with that particular coloring? I know that chickens do show color preference, perhaps ducks do also. My suggestion: either re-home the drake or the hen. Keeping flocks is not supposed to be stressful. If there is stress involved, re-work it till it is peaceful.

Is she the only bird with that particular coloring?  I know that chickens do show color preference, perhaps ducks do also.  My suggestion:  either re-home the drake or the hen.  Keeping flocks is not supposed to be stressful.  If there is stress involved, re-work it till it is peaceful.

I have two other Rouen females all with the same coloring but I can still tell them apart

He may be picking up some abnormality/health issue with her. As a flock animal it's normal to drive the weaker members away to prevent predation. Cruel fact of the beast, but necessary for their survival.

Hello
Recently my drake has been chasing away a particular duck from the rest of the flock. He doesn't chase her like he wants to mate. He puts his head down, opens his mouth and chases her just far enough that she is away from the rest of the flock. I have removed him multiple times from the flock and without him in the picture the duck he doesn't like joins the rest of the females and they all get along great but once I put him back in with the girls that duck is targeted by him again. He chases her away from food and water and I feel so bad for her. The longest he has been separated has been a month and he has always remained in the area with the girls just separated so he can't mingle with them. Has anyone ever had this problem before and have a way to fix it? Should I separate him somewhere he can't see his girls? Does anyone have any ideas why he wouldn't like one particular duck?
Hello
Hi sammy,

I see this happened years ago, what happened in the end?
I have a drake that actually attacks the biggest female. Not to mate, chasing her away. I do have another (alpha) drake that protects her, attacking him then.
I hope ur still reading this! 😉
-irene

Back
Top Bottom