Male duck has killed duckling is this normal what should i do HELP

cat1994

Songster
9 Years
Sep 12, 2010
Southeast MO
I let my duck hen sit on some eggs and saw my male duck kicking the eggs out of the nest (is this normal?
hu.gif
) so i put a cage over her to keep him away, when they hatched i let her and the baby (only one made it
barnie.gif
) out and the male duck seemed to be fine with it but i came back and saw him kill the baby right in front of me
hit.gif
the female duck tried to save the baby, it was so horrible
is this normal for male ducks to kill their babies?
what can i do to stop him?
help me plaese im so sad and shocked right now i cant think
barnie.gif
hit.gif

Last edited:
you don't say what kind of ducks you have but mine are Exotics and some the males share nesting duties and all are fierce protectors of the ducklings

The next time she goes broody, remove the drake from the pen. Do not introduce him to the ducklings until they are grown. He will probably exhibit the same behavior the next time she goes broody. It may be an attempt to force her to start laying so that he can get some loving. Most drakes that I have had experience with have not exhibited this behavior. Would you consider replacing him with a more sensible drake?

My Muscovy drake would have killed his off spring in a minute, he wanted his mate back without any baggage. couldn't let him anywhere near them. Sorry that it happened to you

I let my duck hen sit on some eggs and saw my male duck kicking the eggs out of the nest (is this normal?
hu.gif
) so i put a cage over her to keep him away, when they hatched i let her and the baby (only one made it
barnie.gif
) out and the male duck seemed to be fine with it but i came back and saw him kill the baby right in front of me
hit.gif
the female duck tried to save the baby, it was so horrible
is this normal for male ducks to kill their babies?
what can i do to stop him?
help me plaese im so sad and shocked right now i cant think
barnie.gif
hit.gif
The same thing must have happened to my little duckings but I was not sure what was happening. The duck hatched 11 of 17 eggs. Little by little the number went down and last night there was only one left. When I got home today, the mother was sitting by my front door with this look on her face that I thought said, "I did the best I could but they are all gone now. My heart is broken." My heart broke too. I look up "Do male ducks kill their babies and as you know the answer is yes! I live on a lake so I witness the behavior of the ducks there. The way the male ducks treat the females is horrible!! And now I know they are killing the duckings. I'm so sorry you had to see this awful act right in front of you. I don't know what we can do to help these moms. I can't keep them in my house and I know they would not be happy in a cage. Nature can hard to witness! I feel your pain!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom