Male duck making strange noise (from his bottom?)

Hello all, I’m not sure the last time I’ve posted but I now have 7 ducks.
The 4 new members are over 4 months old, 3 boys and 1 girl.

My biggest of the babies is Eggnog, and recently he started lifting himself in the water (like bicycle kicks) and making a strange noise.
He mostly does this in the water, but when on land dips his butt as if it feels uncomfortable.
Outside of this, he’s 100% normal in his behaviour.

Not too long ago, another one of the boys named Scrump started doing this as well.
Any help would be much appreciated!
I’ll include a Twitter video of the noise, and pictures of the updated flock for cuteness.

Haha. One of my pekin drakes does that allthe time, the little rudy. I dont think its from his bottom. I am told they do it to reorganize their crop. Whatever, its a belch rather than a fart . My muscovy dont do it but recently one of this year's pekin drakes did it, too. I only heard him once. I tell them to hush or the neighbors will complain, but they take no notice of my admonitions!!

Wait is them puffing up excitement??!! I thought they were mad every time I entered a room lmao!! They’ll puff up and squawk, while the girl yells as loud as possible 😆💕

They are quite funny, it’s been cool to learn the differences between them and my other girls! Also thank you! My first hand raised ducks from eggs 💕
I was thinking one of my ducks was mad at me! lol or injured, or going broody, I have no idea. But it seems like she is all puffed up, neck pulled in, and squawking whenever I open the hut in the morning! She will let me extend her neck, and will stretch and preen herself eventually, and seems to be acting fine all day otherwise. I'm still not sure if I should be concerned. 😬

I was thinking one of my ducks was mad at me! lol or injured, or going broody, I have no idea. But it seems like she is all puffed up, neck pulled in, and squawking whenever I open the hut in the morning! She will let me extend her neck, and will stretch and preen herself eventually, and seems to be acting fine all day otherwise. I'm still not sure if I should be concerned. 😬
Sounds like signs of broody
That’s exactly how my girls acts when going broody , during and after for a weeks or so

Sounds like signs of broody
That’s exactly how my girls acts when going broody , during and after for a weeks or so
Aww, this makes me so sad for her. We lost our drake in January just before the girls started laying.

At first I could tell they missed their boyfriend. I'm sure he's forgotten by now, but the girls just mate each other like crazy, (dirty ducks!) and the thought that she wants to sit on a nest so badly makes my heart ache. Poor baby.

ETA it also seems like there is more of a nest of bedding around the eggs in the morning, rather than just burying them in the bedding.
20230420_090159.jpg
20230420_090402.jpg
20230420_091433.jpg

That's Bianca squawking in the front when I open the door, and then nestled in the back corner behind the other girls.

Last edited:
Aww, this makes me so sad for her. We lost our drake in January just before the girls started laying.

At first I could tell they missed their boyfriend. I'm sure he's forgotten by now, but the girls just mate each other like crazy, (dirty ducks!) and the thought that she wants to sit on a nest so badly makes my heart ache. Poor baby.

ETA it also seems like there is more of a nest of bedding around the eggs in the morning, rather than just burying them in the bedding.
View attachment 3475847View attachment 3475853View attachment 3475855
That's Bianca squawking in the front when I open the door, and then nestled in the back corner behind the other girls.
Sorry for your loss on the drake

Yea girls will mate one another even if you do have drakes
I have 4 boys and still catch the girls doing it
Because the eggs are not fertile I would collect everyday to avoid one going broody
It’s hard on their body so be better not to let her with non fertile eggs
A couple things you could do though if you want her to sit
1- get a new drake
2- don’t collect the eggs. Let her start to sit and when you know she is fully sitting grab some fertile le eggs locally you could switch them out
She will not know
But still mark them in case the other girls continue to lay in her nest you can remove their eggs

Sorry for your loss on the drake

Yea girls will mate one another even if you do have drakes
I have 4 boys and still catch the girls doing it
Because the eggs are not fertile I would collect everyday to avoid one going broody
It’s hard on their body so be better not to let her with non fertile eggs
A couple things you could do though if you want her to sit
1- get a new drake
2- don’t collect the eggs. Let her start to sit and when you know she is fully sitting grab some fertile le eggs locally you could switch them out
She will not know
But still mark them in case the other girls continue to lay in her nest you can remove their eggs
Oh, that is interesting! I would have to see if anyone local may have fertile WH eggs... 🤔 Very interesting indeed... Lol

Back
Top Bottom