Male duck not interested in female duck

I guess it goes by each drakes personality as well
My 3 older boys are relaxed right now
But my young drake less then a year is chasing girls down in freezing cold temps
We got to -54 C windchills and in the outdoor enclosed area I was able to get the temp around -30C
He was still mating
Some have zero control of their hormone 😂
I feel that's where I'm at with mine. I hope they do calm down. She had advised I rehome two of them because it was only gonna get worse. Two of the three have mellowed out (but still will chase the girls, though not as much) and the one who was more mellow during the summer has amped up! I've been letting the girls out for a bit without the boys so they can relax but the boys are miserable being separated. They are fully separated at night though, I wouldn't sleep if I knew the girls were probably getting violated all night lol.

Here it’s the girls the boys aren’t interested it’s the girls chasing and acting I like harlots:rolleyes:
Often some of my girls will initiate but then aren't always happy when boys reciprocate and try to run away, I'm like well you started it! 😆 One of my blue swedes, Kiwi is such a flirt and she keeps getting a bald patch on the back of her head from it. I had to separate her for a bit while they were out (with another duck) cause she was getting mated too much in a day.

Often some of my girls will initiate but then aren't always happy when boys reciprocate and try to run away, I'm like well you started it! 😆 One of my blue swedes, Kiwi is such a flirt and she keeps getting a bald patch on the back of her head from it. I had to separate her for a bit while they were out (with another duck) cause she was getting mated too much in a day.
Get yourself some geese
They stop the drakes 😂
My poor drakes are going to struggle to get any with my two geese
Today my younger drake tried twice and was stopped both times
He walked away with his head down
Nobody messes with a goose :)

Get yourself some geese
They stop the drakes 😂
For sure! I've been researching the best breed to get for my area, what I need them to do and so on. I'm thinking Pilgrim geese

For sure! I've been researching the best breed to get for my area, what I need them to do and so on. I'm thinking Pilgrim geese
I have only had experience with Pomeranian saddleback
Both mine are so calm
They are in full mate and no aggressiveness
I can hold stella and cuddle her still and Gary just stands by watching
My grandkids run through the yard and he pays zero attention
A lady that buys my eggs was in the yard before I got home ( she asked ahead ) he was fine
If somebody else other then me was to try and pick up Stella he may get protective
He goes by her voice
If she is calm he stays calm
I think I got blessed with him as he was 1.5 years old when I got him
Stella I got at 4 weeks and she is my big baby
She needs to be on my lap or right beside me when I’m in the coop
I hope the offspring keep their genes
Stella Is bossy in the coop when they are all In there and has got nippy to a few ducks
Outside she is fine
At night I pen them in the coop so they don’t go after ducks in a closed area
I also separate my drakes abc their ladies in their own pens
No fighting at night when nobody can get away

I know this is an older thread but I'm seeing the same issue with my male pekin duck Theodore and was wondering how things worked out for you with your duck

Get yourself some geese
They stop the drakes 😂
Do you have male, female geese or both? I've seen males can stop drakes from over mating but at the same time I wonder if there would be times they'd try to mate the ducks?

Back
Top Bottom