Male Ducks Attacking Goose? What To Do About It?

Yes, I do say the same thing every time, because it has been my experience with ALL the drakes I've ever had. So for me, this is not misinformation. Is there anyone here who can deny that drakes have highly hormonal sexual behaviors, and can be quite rough on the hens?
I would just love to have a couple of drakes who are more gentle and less rough on the females. id also like to see some duck people here help me to see that drakes are not what I keep saying they are. Saying that I am spreading misinformation is a pretty forward thing to say! And rude.
My ratio has always been one male to four (or more) females.
I did not mean to be rude...Not my intentions at all..Sorry your Drakes have been randy...Maybe it's just that they breed lots and a bit rough is something you dislike?

Thanks for your replies, especially yours "gilbert2"!:hugs You are not spreading misinformation, you responded to MY thread SHARING YOUR experiences.:) Everyone should be allowed to voice THEIR opinions without being criticized for doing so. Thank you "rjohns39" for making us laugh with the ducks in heat assumption!:clap And thank you "chickens really" for pointing out his assumption to make us all laugh!:lau We all should be here to support one another and it helps to hear different experiences because personally this is our first time raising water fowl. If we don't take ALL experiences into consideration, we may be setting ourselves up for failure again so hearing EVERYONES experiences really help us with the choices we must make in the future. For example, one of the males is less aggressive than the main male and when he's the only male out with the females he is not so aggressive as far as continually running behind the goose, he does allow rest periods and when we're around the goose he calms wayyyyy down, but we have also noticed when we are not near the goose and he gets a good running lead on her, he pounces on her and violently grabs her neck...for a goose the neck thing is dangerous. Geese have thinner necks than pekins, atleast in my case the goose has a thinner neck. The rough tugging and pulling on the neck of the goose could possible affect her breathing. I know this due to the goose being attacked by a cat while she was sleeping in the yard. We treated her wounds but could not figure out why she was gasping for air, she almost died, but not from the wounds themselves. We had to keep reviving her to make her stay alert because she became weak and kept appearing to pass out. 48 Hours later she began to improve and we figured out her jaw area close to her neck had swollen enough to cause insufficient air intake. So with that said, we aren't trusting the "not so" aggressiveness of the other male, he must be rehomed as well. Gilbert2, you have helped us in making the right decision for OUR situation, we were considering keeping the less aggressive male hoping he would calm down but now we see for ourselves that that's just the nature of our duck. We couldn't separate the 2 guys anyway, that would just be heart breaking for them. We love them, but it's just not working with the female goose. I want them somewhere safe together where they can be themselves without causing harm or death to another bird.

Again, thank you all for sharing....

No it's not always the case, neither of my drakes are over bearing with their females even though they are rough just like most drakes are. I have mainly seen it when 2 or more drakes gang up on females. Here anyway. But gosh being on BYC since 2009 I have read enough about them. :eek:

Well thank you sooooo much for all of your wisdom and knowledge Miss Lydia! I see I'm going to learn a lot from you.:love Just don't get tired with me for all of the questions I'm going to be asking.:duc I am really loving this site and the wonderful people who enjoy helping others, it's very informative on here.

Blessedx44 have you considered just getting more pekin females so that your drakes focus on them and nothing else? Sorry if i missed that suggestion earlier in the chat I'm trying to read this on a very dark screen.
I have 1 muscovy male to 3 females and he is rather gentle in my opinion. He doesn't rough the girls up at all and I have seen him drop snails or grubs in front of them (not sure if this is normal behaviour, I haven't seen it with other ducks that I have kept) I am in the middle of a city but chose the muscovy because they are quiet. I would have another quartet easily if I could find one.

Back
Top Bottom