Male Ducks Attacking Goose? What To Do About It?

blessedx44

Chirping
Apr 16, 2017
Hi everyone,

I have 2 male Pekin ducks and 1 Female Pekin duck I just purchased 1 month ago. The 2 males grew up as babies in our backyard by the river with a female baby Canadian goose we rescued after being abandoned, so all three are about 6 months old. For the last month the males have been trying to bother the goose, I guess it's mating time for them. Since the female is a goose and not interested I went and purchased the female Pekin duck to assist with the mating issue and I thought all was fine but boy was I wrong. Things were going well up until 2 days ago. The males will continually and I mean continually run after the goose even in the river. They attack her so violently that I think they may cause harm and I'm very concerned. One male is a lot less aggressive than the other thank God but he still is a bother to the goose even when I separate the more aggressive male. They seem not to be interested in the female I purchased even though the least aggressive male has mated with her before. The aggressive male will just nip at her and not let her near the food dish. The goose has to fly into the river just to get away from these 2 and when she gets close enough to return, they fly on top of the water just to get to her like you would not believe, looking as if they're drowning her. I never knew Pekin ducks could water fly so fast until now!:rolleyes: The goose is such a gentle bird, she's never aggressive at all and just keeps running and taking their attacks as best as she can. It's like the male ducks have lost their minds! I've had enough, I really don't like it and I must do something. So my question is, is there anything I can do about this other than to separate them as best as I can? Should I get someone to take the males or swap out for females? Is there something natural I can give them to help calm them down? Is there a time frame for this mating period or is this a lifelong thing? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Angela

Last edited:
One drake can service 10 hens... This behavior is worse when they are adolescents but really doesn't get better with time, they just become more proficient. Either more hens, or less drakes is probably your best solution.

I would rehome the drakes if you aren't real attached to them. Or keep the drakes separated from your females because 1 female Pekin duck with 2 hormonal drakes can mean serious injury and death for her. They will eventually turn from the goose to your female duck if you remove the goose. The best ratio is 1 drake to 3and up females. each @blessedx44

20170902_171824.jpg
Thanks for the replies everyone, I think you're right Lydia with removing the drakes. We are more attached to the goose than the drakes because we basically saved her life. And she has gone through so much just to be ripped apart by her buddies. We love the ducks too, they were so protective of her and they got along well until this week. Like I've already stated, the goose is very gentle and I don't think she would survive well on her own if we released her. The ducks are so beautiful and healthy looking, maybe I can find someone who will take good care of them. This is a hard one....

Last edited:
Keep your female Pekin for a buddy for your goose. I hope you can find a good home for the drakes. It is a very hard decision which many of us have had to make to protect our girls. :hugs

But beware too your goose is a wild Canada and she may have the instinct to migrate unless you already live where she may migrate too. But you'd still need more females if you kept the drakes.

Beautiful place you have there.

Thank you Lydia. I read the responses to my question to my husband last night and he could hardly believe we have to get rid of the drakes, these are some tough very nice looking ducks. (I guess it's a male thing...) He has really bonded with these 2 but he loves the goose as well.
20170407_202954_resized_2.jpg

This is where it all began...he'll never give her up until she decides to fly away on her own, then we'll know we've completed our job.
20170423_223659_resized.jpg

But they grew up together.... Now if I can only find a good home for them. What if I purchased another goose to be with the backyard goose? Would it be possible to buy a Canadian goose? I guess I'll start posting the ads for my super pekins... :) Thanks

What precious pics goodness she was a tiny lil thing..

Those male hormones just get the best of the drakes. It's very sad that they have to be so aggressive and abusive.

If you got another goose [gander there maybe fighting] and another female would just mean the 2 geese would be physically abused. Unless one took over the dominant role, My Runner drake would chase down 2 of my Muscovy females and mate with them [ I have a drake Muscovy] But he wouldn't d a thing for his girls finally they began to stand up to him and now if he goes after them they will stand their ground and get hold of him if they can. It was the chase that got him going some days he would chase and just stand on them. The other 2 females always stood their ground with him. My Muscovy drake just isn't sure these Runners are ducks. So about the only way to protect your females is to have a very dominant female stand up to him and protect the other 2 which probably isn't going to happen, or get a gander and most likely your 2 drakes and gander will end up fighting drakes are pretty dominant of their territory. My Muscovy drake is constantly harassing my gander. You could always keep the less aggressive drake and get another goose or female duck and maybe 3 to 1 would work. I had to rehome 3 Runner drakes last year because they would tag team the girls. I hated to do it but I have no way to keep everyone separated.

I believe Strombergs sells Canadian goslings but I am pretty sure gosling season is over for this country. But you may find a domesticated goose for sale. I just think your only true option is rehoming either one of both of your drakes. But of course you and dh have to make that final decision.

Most likely Lydia, I think I'll have to rehome both. The less aggressive one is still grabbing at her neck. I just don't understand why they won't go after the female pekin.

Back
Top Bottom